Not using heat lamp

pmcont3

Chirping
Mar 18, 2015
Prince George, British Columbia
We moved our 1 month old chicks and brooder out to chicken run. The brooder door is open and has a heat light in it. At 10:00pm I checked on the chicks and they were all out of the brooder, so I put them in by hand and closed the door. It got down to 11 degrees celsius. Will they go to the heat lamp on there own???

Sure, if its where they will get to it and they want it. At 11c and at 1 month old----they might rather just snuggle to keep warm if needed instead of getting close to a heat lamp----if you got the temp correct under the heat lamp----app 75 degree's at the warmest they might sleep under it. Some never check the temp under it.

So at a month old they should be wise enough to go to the heat light if needed, and if they choose to stay out of the brooder that's ok

Yes and yes. Mine regularly go through nights below freezing without supplemental heat at 5 weeks, but I'm pretty cautious. One forum member further north than I am says she does it at 4 weeks. But the bottom line, if heat is available and they don't go near it, they don't need it. Just leave the door open and let them decide what they want to do.

Back
Top Bottom