Not using roost poles

Its not a big deal if you don't mind them pooping in the nests. I don't know about you but cleaning their nests out every day gets old real quick.

To me it's big deal when my eggs are covered in poop from them roosting in the nests.
Very true never thought of that as only have chickens now that refuse to use the roost, but also only two or three are laying but slaying in a different nest box then they are sleeping in,

my 2 roost every night. 6pm every night they go to it. about 6' off the ground. 2x4 with a flat pecice of plywood. They both huddle together and night night. BUT they wont use the nesting house/box I made for them. Not laying yet and they are about 25 weeks old. :(

I lifted a few of my chickens who werent using the roost and they stayed there so hopefully they will use it themselves tomorrow night, will keep ye updated,

My girls have 2. One I placed in front of kitchen window and this one in picture they chose. So I attached a 2x4 and a p

iece of flat board and at 6pm EVERY NIGHT this is where I find them. They wre on top of the door so I just added a 2x4. Every night same time they come into their pen and hop up and go night night.

I've wondered the same thing. Why is it a big deal if they don't sleep on their roost, besides not being natural behavior? My hens are over a year and they still huddle on the floor when they sleep and I just let them.

Back
Top Bottom