Not using the roost

soldierinchrist

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
Hey guys my buff orps are alittle over 3 months old and it seems they are still not roosting but are still sleeping on the floor of the coop. Is there any reason for concern? Other than that everything is all well for my first adventure in poultry. Can't wait til they start laying and earning thier keep.

Thank you and have a Blessed and Merry Christmas

For unto us a Child is born , unto us a Son is given
And his name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Don't worry, young birds like to be on the floor, as they get older they will start using the roosts with no problem
big_smile.png

Fear not, for I bring you tidings of great joy; for unto us this night a child is born, and he shall be Christ the Lord.

My chicks stayed on the floor until around week 9. Don't worry, they will most likely roost when they feel it's time. You can try putting them up there in the evenings, I did for four nights in a row but they just flew right back down. I finally just left them alone to do what comes natural to them.

If your impatient like I was then you can put a 2x4 on the floor and then just step it up a little higher and higher each week. Seemed like my pullets didnt like the tallest roost till like 14 weeks. I had to step them up as I think it was just to high for them.

Hi,
They usually do start to roost on their own with time - although mine took several months so don't worry if they're a bit slow getting it! I find that if they roost on a stick or something in their brooder right from a young age, they'll be used to it when they're older.
I hope you're enjoying your chickens!
old.gif

Merry Christmas.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom