Not vegetarian but...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PotterWatch, Nov 13, 2010.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have decided not to eat meat out at restaurants or purchase meat unless I know exactly where and how it was raised. I have, for quite some time now, known that I have a big problem with how animals are usually grown and treated on commercial farms. The other night I was thinking about how happy I am that we are soon going to be picking up the steer we have purchased from a local farm. I saw that steer at least twice a week since it arrived at the farm. I know exactly the kind of life it led and the food it ate. It made me realize that if I continue to eat commercially prepared meat, I am only supporting a system I disagree with and I don't want to do that any longer (I have issue with commercial dairies and egg companies as well, but I am taking it one step at a time right now). Therefore, no more meat for me unless I raise it myself or am able to visit the farm it comes from. It's not hard to avoid that kind of stuff at home since we have our chickens for eggs and meat, a cow at a local farm that I milk, turkeys at the farm, and now the steer. It's going to be a challenge when I am out though! Anyone abstain from mass-market meat?

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] Good for you for standing up for what you believe! I wouldn't do that, though. I like my bacon cheeseburgers too much and the ones we make here are bad. [​IMG]

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    [​IMG]
    Yep that is the way it should be done Vote with your pocket book... If enough people do it, things will change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

We do that often. Eat meat we raise or harvest.

ON

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Good for you for standing up for what you believe!

[​IMG]

Great job! Hopefully we can work our way towards this 100% as well!​

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Good for you! Unfortunately, not everyone is able or knowledgeable to do what you're doing.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Five years ago we wouldn't have had any idea how to go about this. I feel lucky that we have the means to raise so much of our own and friends with farms nearby.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Heather that is great!!!! I really would like a cow here, but seeing as how Ken had issues with culling the turkeys, it won't work for us. [​IMG] My next best option is raised bed gardens in February.

8. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Totally cool![​IMG]

9. resthavenfarms

resthavenfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    SW Virginia
    I have been thinking along the same lines. Good for you--maybe I'll get to the point you are someday.

10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    We try to do the same as well in our household. Rabbit, venison, and looking for local source for beef that will sell less than half a cow because honestly, I don't have the freezer space [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by