Not water proofing feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKeep01, Aug 19, 2016.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I have 2 Isa Browns and two Japanese Bantams and the Isa Browns seem to have no idea how to waterproof their feathers When ever it rains they look like someone has plucked half of the feathers of they are only about 6 months old so im wondering if they will learn to waterproof them or just stand out in the miserable weather.At first i thought they would learn but when i got my bantams i saw today that they have manged to. So are my Isa Browns Dumb or do different breeds pick it up faster

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not sure, but my flock look like drowned rats when it rains. They have plenty of options to get out of the rain, but apparently that doesn't suit them [​IMG]

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I guess no one showed them the rope, it's like a child not being disciplined, they'll be a danger to themselves and to the society.

One draw back of a chicken growing up in captivity?? Just a question if I may add.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not sure i agree with the analogy and nor do I consider their a drawback. I live on the equator and climate may be a factor. I would think that they know why they do what they do, even though it may seem strange to us.

Thats just my view and will end my posting on this thread

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chickens feathers are not nearly as waterproof as waterfowl (ducks, geese) feathers are.
    They do have an oil gland at the base of tail which they use to preen their feathers to make them somewhat water resistant ....
    ....but yeah, drowned rats is the term I use too.

IME....Some birds don't mind getting wet in the rain.....others run for cover immediately.
    I found that as wet as they looked, the feathers closest to the skin were dry as was their skin.

Make sure they have plenty of cover from the rain, in different spots if you have sub-flocks that don't mingle well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by