Not what I bought. What is this?

Thanks, first time raising birds and my first post. They are all about 12 weeks. I’ll see if my Orpington and this potential male start acting up and adjust if necessary. My daughter loves the Orpington but I think this guy will be a lot more attractive. Will be tough to get rid of one.
Well since they are raised together, it might work out. Are they getting along with each other and with the flock so far?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

You're correct, it's an EE cockerel.

Some flocks can tolerate 2 roosters without over mating or fighting, it will depend on the individual roosters.. I never keep less than that many.. Sometimes even with correct ratios a rooster may over mate his favorite hens. I've successfully kept 2 cocks with 4 hens without issue. Not generally recommended and your mileage may very.
Thanks for the welcoming and advice.

Well since they are raised together, it might work out. Are they getting along with each other and with the flock so far?
For now. Little bit of dancing around each other today. Will see how things go once more testosterone starts in em.

He is gorgeous.

But, though you've gotten a lot of positivity here I have to say that 2-7 is much more likely to turn out badly than to turn out well.

Not to rain on your parade, but it's not particularly realistic to expect the boys to be best friends once the hormones hit. :(

He is gorgeous.

But, though you've gotten a lot of positivity here I have to say that 2-7 is much more likely to turn out badly than to turn out well.

Not to rain on your parade, but it's not particularly realistic to expect the boys to be best friends once the hormones hit. :(
I don’t expect they will and figure I’ll have to lose one. Is one a clear choice to keep and should I do it sooner than later?

He is gorgeous.

And I’m 2:6 with this unexpected male, so even worse.

If you decide on keeping just one, what options would you consider for the unwanted one? Would you be up to butchering it to eat? Selling, giving away are other options. Do you have a poultry swap in your area? I have sold young roosters easily at swaps. My daughter gave one away on craigslist within an hour of listing it. I imagine you wouldn’t have trouble rehoming one.....

If you decide on keeping just one, what options would you consider for the unwanted one? Would you be up to butchering it to eat? Selling, giving away are other options. Do you have a poultry swap in your area? I have sold young roosters easily at swaps. My daughter gave one away on craigslist within an hour of listing it. I imagine you wouldn’t have trouble rehoming one.....
I’d probably slaughter it. I do appreciate nature and already hunt, so am not opposed to harvesting animals for good use. One of the reasons I even started with this was to teach my children about the true meaning of where food comes from. I just didn’t plan on TSC giving me the wrong birds and having to do one of them for sex reasons. I figure the Buff Orp will probably get bigger and won’t be as pretty as the EE in this thread, so Orp is probably going on the dinner table. Would welcome comments from more experienced folks though.

Back
Top Bottom