Not what I bought. What is this?

JLaRocco

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2022
Hi. I bought this as a chick at Tractor Supply. It was supposed to be a female Brahma. It’s obviously not.

I’ve been looking around the web and think it’s a male Easter Egger or something similar. Any confirmation or help?

I already have a Orpington male. Only have an 8 bird flock. This unexpected rooster going to be a problem?

Thanks,
Jarrod
1A74300B-33BE-412D-A994-4F20267C2056.jpeg

Welcome to BYC! :frow

You're correct, it's an EE cockerel.

Some flocks can tolerate 2 roosters without over mating or fighting, it will depend on the individual roosters.. I never keep less than that many.. Sometimes even with correct ratios a rooster may over mate his favorite hens. I've successfully kept 2 cocks with 4 hens without issue. Not generally recommended and your mileage may very.

He’s very handsome! Looks like an Easter Egger to me too. If you only have 7 hens, yes this might be a problem. Are they all the same age? Is the other rooster same age? I have kept 2 roosters with 10 hens and it worked out fine. Last month, the elder one was killed by a raccoon, so his son took over seamlessly, having learned the ropes from watching his elder.
Welcome to BYC! I look forward to seeing you around.

He’s very handsome! Looks like an Easter Egger to me too. If you only have 7 hens, yes this might be a problem. Are they all the same age? Is the other rooster same age? I have kept 2 roosters with 10 hens and it worked out fine. Last month, the elder one was killed by a raccoon, so his son took over seamlessly, having learned the ropes from watching his elder.
Welcome to BYC! I look forward to seeing you around.
Thanks, first time raising birds and my first post. They are all about 12 weeks. I’ll see if my Orpington and this potential male start acting up and adjust if necessary. My daughter loves the Orpington but I think this guy will be a lot more attractive. Will be tough to get rid of one.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

You're correct, it's an EE cockerel.

Some flocks can tolerate 2 roosters without over mating or fighting, it will depend on the individual roosters.. I never keep less than that many.. Sometimes even with correct ratios a rooster may over mate his favorite hens. I've successfully kept 2 cocks with 4 hens without issue. Not generally recommended and your mileage may very.
Thank you. Hope to learn a lot here.

Back
Top Bottom