Not zipping

kndanewatchks

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2015
Sorry its a long one.
So we are hatching our first ever batch of chickies. For the most part everything has been smooth except for the last 2. One zipped but it didnt break the membrane. when i saw no movement for awhile i figured it was about to die or was dead. I helped it out but it was dead already not clear sign why. Last egg has finally pipped (membrane too) and has made a hole about the diameter of a pen. But that is as far as its made it after 7 hours zero progress for the last 4hrs. Its little beak is clearly visible in the hole and has shown good movement. It is still moving and peeping but its slowing down. Ive researched all the things that can go wrong helping, but the last one having died stuck with no clear issues has me paranoid. Humidity has stayed between 60 and 74%. To help or not to help that is the question?

Hello! I would suggest leaving it. One of my chicks once pipped and then didn’t unzip until 24 hours or so later. They may take a long time, but let them do it on their own. On the other hand, if it doesn’t hatch, it probably wouldn’t have survived even if you had helped it out. It’s sad, I know, but that’s just usually how it works. It would be best to let it hatch by itself, unless you’re absolutely sure that it wouldn’t be able to get out, that way at least it would have a chance. Be patient and let it do it’s thing. Hope the chick hatches soon!

I am not trying to be rude, because i know that that might be the best idea in some cases, but i would say to peel off the shell and leave the membrane. Compromise, giving it a better chance but still making it work a little bit.

You could try what @TesoroSena said (personally, I wouldn’t, but it’s totally up to you), but if you start to see blood then stop and leave it in the incubator.
Yeah the silver lining of the already dead chick was i kinda got a bit of practice egg shell then first membrane then second membrane. Ill probably give it a while longer just wasnt alot of people talking about what time between pip and zip

I would leave it alone. I've only ever had one good ending for helping a bird hatch, and he had already done most the work, just got tangled in a strip of membrane and needed help.

I am not trying to be rude, because i know that that might be the best idea in some cases, but i would say to peel off the shell and leave the membrane. Compromise, giving it a better chance but still making it work a little bit.
Yeah it seems to trying to zip but doesn't seem to move from that hole just keeps poking its beak in and out of it

Just a quick update. I waited several hrs and decided i was gonna help a little. Peeled about 20% of the eggshell at the bottom and made tiny slits on either side of the first membrane for easier tearing. 20 minutes later fresh chick:bow seems healthy and strong no apparent defects thank goodness. Thanks for all the advice folks. Think ill name it domino im a deadpool fan.😁

Attachments

• PXL_20230413_142553169.jpg
    PXL_20230413_142553169.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom