Note for customers in egg cartons about eggs

Here's a very informative newspiece on egg storage, comparing the USA and the UK (washed/sterilized and refrigerated vs. unwashed and no refrigeration):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaar...egal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/

Note that though the Brits don't refrigerate, they do have temperature control. Too much temp variation and the unwashed eggs can "sweat", which can remove some of the bloom.

Also, another article, that shows that most of the world doesn't store eggs the way the USA does, not just the UK. There's also an interesting PDF link in the article that goes a bit into the history of egg washing and how some methods weren't safe.

Last edited:
I just wash mine and be done with it.Actually i'm confused as to weather or not backyard producers are required to wash them.I know all commercial producers are required to wash them.
hide.gif

I think as long as the scrubby is dry, it won't wash the bloom off, or not much. I guess it depends on how big or glued on the poop might be.

great stuff thanks looking forward to reading it
Here's a very informative newspiece on egg storage, comparing the USA and the UK (washed/sterilized and refrigerated vs. unwashed and no refrigeration):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaar...egal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/

Note that though the Brits don't refrigerate, they do have temperature control. Too much temp variation and the unwashed eggs can "sweat", which can remove some of the bloom.

Also, another article, that shows that most of the world doesn't store eggs the way the USA does, not just the UK. There's also an interesting PDF link in the article that goes a bit into the history of egg washing and how some methods weren't safe.

I don't. Those stay with me. I wash as I use them.

They are temp controlled, not refrigerated. I was worried about them "sweating" during transport, so people are told they have never been in fridge. They are stored on my counter out of direct sunlight so no spikes.

Back
Top Bottom