Nothing fits that i have read for my chickens

momofthree

Songster
10 Years
Jan 5, 2010
Skiatook, OK
And they they have stopped laying. Here is the summary:

1. Flock age - 8 of them were a year old in May. The remaining 10 were hatched March 1.

2. The "old" flock layed great all through last fall, winter, even in the almost 0 degree weather and the 100+ heat. (through the winter time without any heat or supplemental light).

3. The egglaying dropped off to about 1/2 when the 100+ weather hit and was here for a prolonged time.

4. The egglaying has since that time, continued to decrease (basically mid August i experienced the first decrease and it's been downhill since, with about 1 egg per week for a couple of months and now i haven't had an egg since mid October).

5. I see no signs of molting......they all look nice and fluffy and "normal."

6. They are eating just fine, no change in food (feeding flock raiser)

7. No visible signs of worms (lethargy, losing weight, visible worms in poo)..

8. i have never wormed my chickens.

Any ideas? what can i do to jump start them??

I still would try lighting. Chickens are very photo reactive. I also have had first year pullets lay right through winter without any additional supplemental lighting, but by year two, these same birds would not lay without supplemental assistance.

Some strains or breeds seem particularly sensitive to decreasing light. Since the longest day of the year is June 21, by late August, the birds begin to slow down. If older than a year, most will go into moult mode and slow down until daylight is noticeably longer in February.

I would look them over real good too. Two of my girls started molting on their belly first. i couldn't see it until I walked under them on the roost. They now look like porcupines.

Being from Oklahoma as well ... have you considered the earthquakes/tornados/flash floods we've had in the last couple of weeks might be upsetting them? Our egg count was nil after the two biggest quakes. Just a thought since chickens don't like to be upset.

Back
Top Bottom