Nothing in the coop???

there are coops with no bedding

you can coat the floor of the coop with waterproof finish or use those aluminum/galvanized sheets for easy cleaning (ideal for small coop with removable floor)

*coop floor of a prefab*

Last edited:
That seems like a lot of work. Very smelly unless you can take it out and wash it every day, and your better have somewhere to hose it off away from your house or that your can cover it with dirt or you just end up with a sloppy smelly pile of droppings (and maggots probably) building up every day.

That seems like a lot of work. Very smelly unless you can take it out and wash it every day, and your better have somewhere to hose it off away from your house or that your can cover it with dirt or you just end up with a sloppy smelly pile of droppings (and maggots probably) building up every day.

well.. for people who don't like bedding there's also the option of leaving it bare

but they will learn soon or later of what it is like when there's no bedding
hmm.png

the floor of my chicken coop is coated with 3 layers of waterproof finish but i still use pine shavings.. very easy and quick to clean..

took about 30 seconds to clean out their coop (5 chickens)

the run is bigger and i left half of the run bare earth.. so it took longer

Last edited:
I just can't imagine a bare floor coop. I prefer my girls to land on soft bedding as it's easier on the feet and legs.
I use the deep litter method and when I clean it out it all goes into the compost. I have a plywood floor covered with a sheet of easy clean vinyl.
Just saying, that's what works for me.

I just can't imagine a bare floor coop. I prefer my girls to land on soft bedding as it's easier on the feet and legs.
I use the deep litter method and when I clean it out it all goes into the compost. I have a plywood floor covered with a sheet of easy clean vinyl.
Just saying, that's what works for me.

the roosting bars are only 2-3 in from the coop floor in most of the pre-fab coops

deep litter is not a good idea if you live in a hot state

i'm in AZ.. i'll not use deep litter method here.. maybe during the 2-3 months of winter only

since when you have 110-120 heat outside and deep litter bedding in the coop.. you are baking your chickens pretty much

i keep the pine shaving to about 1-2 in here.. you do not want it too thick in this desert heat

Last edited:
If you didn't have any bedding at all, what would the chickens be on in the run? And in the coop? I find vinyl is great in the coop with bedding on top of that. Really easy to clean.

Linoleum with pine shavings in this coop. I now have a much larger coop and used porch and floor paint with pine on top of that. SUPER easy to clean and easy on the feet. The roosts in the other coops are 23 inches off the floor. The runs are bare dirt.

the roosting bars are only 2-3 in from the coop floor in most of the pre-fab coops

deep litter is not a good idea if you live in a hot state

i'm in AZ.. i'll not use deep litter method here.. maybe during the 2-3 months of winter only

since when you have 110-120 heat outside and deep litter bedding in the coop.. you are baking your chickens pretty much

i keep the pine shaving to about 1-2 in here.. you do not want it too thick in this desert heat
No pre-fab coop here-- all made by hand. 2-3 feet is still going to cause a major skid with no bedding when my heavy breed birds jump down.
Live in CNY-- not that hot here and the deep litter has an insulating effect when it's freezing cold (Nov.-April).
I would love to visit your beautiful state one day! My husband drove truck from the east coast to the west. He said Flagstaff is amazing!
Have a great day and how 'bout them chickens!

No pre-fab coop here-- all made by hand. 2-3 feet is still going to cause a major skid with no bedding when my heavy breed birds jump down.
Live in CNY-- not that hot here and the deep litter has an insulating effect when it's freezing cold (Nov.-April).
I would love to visit your beautiful state one day! My husband drove truck from the east coast to the west. He said Flagstaff is amazing!
Have a great day and how 'bout them chickens!

2-3 in

the picture i posted above.. the roost bars are about 2-3 in from the floor

most of these pre-fab are like this

flagstaff is great. for those people who can't not handle the heat it's best to stay in the northern area of Arizona. since i'm in Phoenix Arizona region.. it will be 117 today :/

arizona is a great state for snow birds (often from canada or northern states) to stay during the winter months

Back
Top Bottom