Nothing like free feed!

Punkstermom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Iowa
Okay so I asked the neighbors if they would mind if we picked up all the ears of corn they drop during harvest. They said we could have as much as we wanted to go pick up! :D Now I'm talking they have hundreds of acres!!!! This corn could go to my chickens, rabbits, goats, hog, heifer etc! So anyhow my question is how should I dry it for storage? Not wanting to use electricity to dry that much in the oven. Hoping to dry the full cobs. And don't have a grain dryer. I could leave them lay in the sun although I'm wondering how much would disappear due to mice, raccoons, opossums, deer, etc. but I'm afraid if I put them in a garbage can for storage they may mold. Any thought? This could literally cut my winter food costs drastically if I can figure this out. Thanks so much for taking time to read all of this :)

How wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! We used to do that when we lived in Illinois. You must dry the corn. It will mold in an enclosed garbage can. It may be pretty dry when you pick it up. We used to harvest into gunny sacks, tie closed and hang from the rafters. Don't pass it up!!!!!
Carol

You need to build yourself a corn crib. Ventilation is key to dry the whole cob. They will keep for years when dried properly. You just toss them the entire ear and they will pick the corn off the cob.
Field corn is mostly dried om the stalk but at a minimum lay it out in the sun on a rack to continue drying. Borrow a moisture tester from the neighbor and leave it to dry until it reaches an acceptable moisture level.

Back
Top Bottom