Noticed My bantam EE chick is cross beaking

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
I say it like that because i just noticed yesterday her beak was starting to slant but I thought i was just looking at her wrong. Today I took her out and it's obvious...her lower beak is jutted to the right and her upper beak is right where it should be.

Is there anything I can do? Or is it just something that I have to see how severe it gets? My husband and I love her she is to be just a pet so if it's just a matter of making sure she's able to eat and that's all we can do that's fine. It's a total shame.
sad.png

I was reading someting about antibiotics on here though I am curious what those would help with a deformed beak?

None of the parents that I know of from the stock she came from have it as i've seen pictures. So is there a possibility that this isnt genetic?

Thank you for your help....mean while back to searching for info....

We have a sebright with a crossed beak. If you really want to commit, it's really not that big a deal. When the beak gets long and appears to cause difficulty in eating (about every 3 months or so for ours), we just clip the tip with a sterilized nail clipper. You should be able to tell where the hardened part at the tip ends. You can shine a flashlight underneath to be sure you don't clip a blood vessel. That sucks - corn starch helps with the bleeding if that happens. Also watch out for the tongue! Even if you clip a little too close, they recover quickly. We've been dealing with Darla's beak for about 3 years now. No biggie! Good luck.

It's not too severe yet, she can still eat on her own.

Thank you so much for your own experience it helps we really adore her and dont want to have to end her life or anyting so thank you
smile.png

There is a cream that you can get from the vet that relaxes the muscles/tendons and is supposed to help if you catch it quickly enough.

In horses they use a megadose of tetracycline for contracted tendons. I don't know if it would work the same for a cross beak.

Best of luck for your chick.

Back
Top Bottom