Novel Deep Litter / Deep Bedding Situation

5am

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
Dripping Springs, TX
I have an a-frame coop in two halves that's mounted on casters. Currently, the coop has hardware cloth on the bottom with mulch-filled metal trays over about half the floor space.

I'm interested in converting this to the deep litter (or "deep bedding" as I've seen in called this forum) method. My thought is to add space so that the mulch or shavings can be up to 8" or so deep, ventilated on the bottom with hardware cloth. It occurred to me that I might be able to slant the edges toward the middle and use the trays below the hardware cloth as a collection for the loose compost, when it gets that far along.

Assuming the frame and casters can hold the weight, is there any reason this approach wouldn't work?

D1C41CD9-785F-4BB0-A4C9-936BDDEB0D08.jpeg

Not sure why the coop pic is half rotated. For some reason I'm not able to correct it.

Attachments

• A3240F88-A4EF-4769-99B3-A168E82D5562.jpeg
    A3240F88-A4EF-4769-99B3-A168E82D5562.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks for the response - this would be made deeper by adding to the bottom of the coop but it would still not touch the ground because the entire coop is on casters. I suppose it could still qualify as deep bedding by this definition.

this would be made deeper by adding to the bottom of the coop
Missed that part, apologies, but still.
What is your goal?

Must say, am impressed with the huge casters,!
How well do they roll on that ground, how often do you move the coop?
The halves roll separately and are connected how?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @5am
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1595204082447.png

Thanks! Added location - outside of Dripping Springs, Texas.

The casters work great. It took some trial and error to get here. The coop itself is from http://www.ranch-coop.com/. It comes without casters, which worked fine but dragging it every week or two and setting an apron was a hassle. Also, it left quite a mark on the dirt.

Now it's mounted on the casters with half inch hardware cloth underneath. It was formerly chicken wire, which allowed the droppings to fall through but proven insecure against predators (a painful lesson). So the chickens are safe now but the droppings no longer fall through, hence my tinkering.

The two halves are held together with a pair of vices. This works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom