November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Ive a hen brooding :p
For two or 3 weeks so i might get babys any second now
fl.gif

Oo Oo Oo....I candled my Maran eggs that I set on Sat....it's hard to see but I'm fairly sure I see veins...nice air cell and the yolk doesn't roll!!!
fl.gif

cleared the blanks and quitters from the eggs I set last Sat....only 3 leghorns out of 12 boo...I saw the mail lady drop them! but the 3 are looking strong

9 favorelles and 9 orloffs woo hoo ....hope most of those end up hatching
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

I'm with you!!

I don't think my hens are that snuggly some just tolerate me better than others
wink.png
My snugglers are the ones that almost died and I carried around for awhile until they were better. Sara was a few days and fell in the water (there were marbles) and got wet and cold. WHen I found her she was almost dead. I fed her with a dropper and carried her around my neck for several days and she slept on my bed in the hand warmer. I took her everywhere. Sara wet and cold getting warm. Around my neck and feeling a little better.

Oo Oo Oo....I candled my Maran eggs that I set on Sat....it's hard to see but I'm fairly sure I see veins...nice air cell and the yolk doesn't roll!!!
fl.gif

cleared the blanks and quitters from the eggs I set last Sat....only 3 leghorns out of 12 boo...I saw the mail lady drop them! but the 3 are looking strong

9 favorelles and 9 orloffs woo hoo ....hope most of those end up hatching
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
You must have a very large area to keep all of these chicks you hatch. I wish I had the roomand money to feed them. Do you sell some or keep them all? I have sold some but it is really hard to do. I only didit because I didn't have the room.

Mine just went into lockdown too!! 6 silkied ameraucanas, 3 mottled ameraucanas, and 1 wheaten marans! All shipped eggs from two different breeders from the same area, but packed very different. It's my first time with shipped eggs and its interesting to see the viability in the two shipments. They were sent out the same day and I tracked them along the way. They traveled the entire way together. The silkied ameraucana where wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in shredded paper, 6 out of 7 made it to lockdown. The others were wrapped in paper towel and placed into an egg carton and placed into packing peanuts, 4 out of 12 made it to lockdown. Could be a coincidence, who knows. Anybody else noticed a similar comparison?

Here are my 3 babies so far - another one is pipped in the bator. These are the CCL x GLW chicks. They are supposed to be autosexing so I am trying to figure it all out. Pretty sure the first two were pullets. #3 seems to possibly have a very faint head spot but not sure one way or the other unless I get another one with super obvious male traits.

In other sad news... my entire flock except these three in the indoor brooder are suffering from fowl pox (both wet and dry). The adult birds seem pretty mild so far and hopefully will come through fine. But I have lost 5 chicks and had 2 more close calls. With the help of my mom we vaccinated the entire flock except the adults who already have the pox on them for fowl pox on Monday. I am also treating with Corid and Tylan as some of the chick are exhibiting signs that they may have coccidiosis and/or necrotic enteritis. So I am treating for both just in case. Anyone that wants detail can see my post about it here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-in-my-hands-right-now-help/20#post_12160614 and here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/829084/fowl-pox/20#post_12154041 Forewarned is forearmed and its good to know what to look for before you have it :/

Mine just went into lockdown too!! 6 silkied ameraucanas, 3 mottled ameraucanas, and 1 wheaten marans! All shipped eggs from two different breeders from the same area, but packed very different. It's my first time with shipped eggs and its interesting to see the viability in the two shipments. They were sent out the same day and I tracked them along the way. They traveled the entire way together. The silkied ameraucana where wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in shredded paper, 6 out of 7 made it to lockdown. The others were wrapped in paper towel and placed into an egg carton and placed into packing peanuts, 4 out of 12 made it to lockdown. Could be a coincidence, who knows. Anybody else noticed a similar comparison?
Hi, Good Luck to you also..............
We may have purchased Americaunas from the same breeder......
Mine were packed the same......and have a good result..............
I must tell you a funny...............some time ago a BYC wrote in that she had ordered quail eggs
from an Ebay seller....................They arrived in a large envelope...................very smashed of course.
I think Ebay got her money back but we could not quit laughing.................

Back
Top Bottom