November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

bubbles that roll around inside the shell. there should not be bubbles that roll from one end to the other when you turn the egg.

Out of 13 of my shipped eggs, only 7 are showing veins. I broke in and candled. SIGH.

4 in the Styrofoam were developing, 2 in the Brinsea were developing. I moved all seven into the Brinsea. :/ Guise I am flipping out of here. I kept the six in the other incubator in hopes maybe some will be like 'nope I'm here no worries'.

my hatch rate is looking attrocious. none of the trader joe eggs were viable...I think they were too scrambled from the get go. I can't see in the maran eggs or welsummer but it is darker in spots, my own barnyard mixes....nada, nothing growing. I think my roo is still too young. So I think i'm looking at around 12 chicks when I had 40 eggs originally :(

First pip in my first batch of Marans, halfway down the egg away from the air cell. I chipped away at the hole a little for it, but I'll check on it again later.

I can not wait till tonight to see if anybody is growing in there I am at day 5 today. This was an expensive hatch sent a long distance. Praying for a high hatch rate although I know that the odds of shipped eggs having a high ship rate is not good. It happened last time how long can my streak hold out?

I can not wait till tonight to see if anybody is growing in there I am at day 5 today. This was an expensive hatch sent a long distance. Praying for a high hatch rate although I know that the odds of shipped eggs having a high ship rate is not good. It happened last time how long can my streak hold out?
good luck! Did you set them last Thursday? My shipped eggs are under a broody. The breeder mailed them on Tuesday at noon and I had them Thursday afternoon from about half way across the country.I checked air cells and then gave her the 8 that looked the most promising that day. I was pleased with the speed of the shipping but like you I am realistic about the odds they will all be good. I also gave her 4 eggs from my own flock. If my cockerel is doing the job he seems to be doing they should all be fertile.
big_smile.png

good luck! Did you set them last Thursday? My shipped eggs are under a broody. The breeder mailed them on Tuesday at noon and I had them Thursday afternoon from about half way across the country.I checked air cells and then gave her the 8 that looked the most promising that day. I was pleased with the speed of the shipping but like you I am realistic about the odds they will all be good. I also gave her 4 eggs from my own flock. If my cockerel is doing the job he seems to be doing they should all be fertile.
big_smile.png

Oh, hey my eggs were set last Thursday, shipped, as well. Seems if everyone has a great hatch, we should have a great lil' night waiting in agony together. :D

I've got pips! Little malposition chick is doing good, my duckling has pipped, one easter egger has pipped, and I've got at least two internal pips on salmon faverolles because the eggs are talking to me :D

Also, I may have gone a little...overboard on my next batch of eggs. I'm getting, this week, 24+ silkie eggs from one breeder, 12+ silkie eggs from the breeder who gave me my last silkie eggs (she's great, she only charged me shipping this time since she only does it for fun) AND 8+ salmon/blue salmon faverolles eggs. PLUS I have on Wednesday some chicks arriving here for a friend - four sex links and two speckled sussex, but I had to fill the order out, so I also have two light brahmas, two easter eggers, and one speckled sussex coming for me to add to my egg laying flock. What was I thinking :th

Back
Top Bottom