November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

My second batch is doing crappy
sad.png
day 21 and I had 1 hatch, but it looks like it pulled its umbilical cord and its intestions are sticking out. A second on pipped this morning and unzipped halfway before dying. All the yolk was absorbed on it. There are 12 more in this batch and the last batch is on day 19 today.
sad.png
can you take a picture of that? try not to worry to much...day 21 is too early to worry...you can always candle them to see what progress they are making so you won't be so anxious

I smeared some neosporin on it (no pain med kind) and its in the empty incubator until it gets better. I had planned on putting all the chicks from this batch in there until they were done because the chicks in the brooder hatched last Thursday. I had great results in my September hatch of local eggs, so I went with some shipped eggs this time.

Sara came in to lay an egg and get some cuddles. She wanted lots of cuddles. Max got jealous and hasn''t left my side since. Please excuse me crazy look and crazy hair. I still have food poisoning and I've been trying to sleep it off.

A friend gave one of these baby food pouches to Max and now Max is a pouch addict. But much easier for me.

My chicks have finally hatched when will they get off the nest and need to eat?

Congrats! how many??

You have time. Don't be surprised if they show no interest for a couple of days. Have the feed and the water...with marbles so they don't drown...available. It sounds like you are using a broody and you can usually count on her to show them exactly what to do. If you want to pull them out and give their beaks a drop or two of Nutri Drench or Poly Vi Sol w/o iron that isn't a terrible idea or else you can just wait.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom