November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Sara laid her egg. I thought she gave up yesterday put the egg was just burried in the pineshavings. 9 eggs in 11 days. Go Sara! All perfect green eggs.

Max went to work with me again today and was well behaved as usual. We stopped by the feed store and I was told I spoil my chickens and turkey. ?? Was that a secret? I have a plan for getting my spoiled chickens to eat pellets. I am going to mix crumbles with pellets. The only crumbles I can find that my chickens like are expensive or crumbles and dust and they leave the dust. Does anyone know if there is a cheaper way to buy online?
Hi Deanna,
I do not know of anything on line......but really picked up on the dust problem....
Mine would just about starve themselves before they would eat the Purina.
I swear I was losing 1/3 of the food.........I found a much better food, actually smells like fresh alfalpha (sp)
It is made at a mill here in Oregon.
Changed from Purina. I use Nutrena chick starter and there is no dust at all........
The eggs I sell pretty much pays for my feed.............Is that an option for you?

Also...My favorites.1,2 and7

Last edited:
Sara laid her egg.  I thought she gave up yesterday put the egg was just burried in the pineshavings.  9 eggs in 11 days.  Go Sara!  All perfect green eggs.

Max went to work with me again today and was well behaved as usual.  We stopped by the feed store and I was told I spoil my chickens and turkey.  ?? Was that a secret?    I have a plan for getting my spoiled chickens to eat pellets.   I am going to mix crumbles with pellets.  The only crumbles I can find that my chickens like are expensive or crumbles and dust and they leave the dust.  Does anyone know if there is a cheaper way to buy online?

I have a Tractor Supply here to shop from. None of my birds will touch a pellet. I was buying the Flock Raiser for everyone but they are always out, so right now I am experimenting with mixing feed. I mix the Game bird starter with 24% protein, scratch grains with 8.5 % protein and get a 16.25% mix. I also add in Kickin Chicken though it adds more money I find they love it and I am trying to boost their immune systems with all we have going on here. I also do the vitamin/probiotic water. They free range so that also helps. I toss out some black oil sunflower seeds and occasionally some sweet feed as treats. And of course scraps - they love all scraps, LOL! If I get lots of eggs I scramble some up for them too.

Of all of the pictures I have of Max, there is something wrong in all of them. Fuzzy, weird backround, not centered. So I guess these are the best ones. Which do you think? Every picture of Max is great to me so I can't decide.
I'd say go with #1 and how exactly do you want it worded? "Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a pet turkey and that is pretty much the same thing." Is that what you are looking for?

Here you go - I can change it however you want ;)

Hi Deanna,
I do not know of anything on line......but really picked up on the dust problem....
Mine would just about starve themselves before they would eat the Purina.
I swear I was losing 1/3 of the food.........I found a much better food, actually smells like fresh alfalpha (sp)
It is made at a mill here in Oregon.
Changed from Purina. I use Nutrena chick starter and there is no dust at all........
The eggs I sell pretty much pays for my feed.............Is that an option for you?

Also...My favorites.1,2 and7

I've tried every medicated chick start I can get here and a few unmedicated. My chicks will starve before eating most of them and I live in the middle of no where so not a lot available.
I have a Tractor Supply here to shop from. None of my birds will touch a pellet. I was buying the Flock Raiser for everyone but they are always out, so right now I am experimenting with mixing feed. I mix the Game bird starter with 24% protein, scratch grains with 8.5 % protein and get a 16.25% mix. I also add in Kickin Chicken though it adds more money I find they love it and I am trying to boost their immune systems with all we have going on here. I also do the vitamin/probiotic water. They free range so that also helps. I toss out some black oil sunflower seeds and occasionally some sweet feed as treats. And of course scraps - they love all scraps, LOL! If I get lots of eggs I scramble some up for them too.
Mine don't like scraps. Seriously, they don't like much. Max eats everything, usually my dinner.

Here you go - I can change it however you want
wink.png

Awww, Max is love and love is Max. Thanks.

Day 15 and when i candled to go into locklown i realised 1 has already pipped externally and 1 internally... here we go for an early hatch...
jumpy.gif

My third chickie hatched last night some time and this morning I found a somewhat bloody shell with a lot of what I hope is albumen in the bottom and a chick that looks perfect with a perfect naval but entirely crusted in dried on goo including one eye glued shut. Hoping it was extra albumen and not a ruptured yolk - but either way it seems fine. Gave it a nice warm bath in the sink and put it back in to dry again - but hopefully softer and not crusty. Its one of my white leghorn mixes. Very lively and chirping so :fl

The next batch go into the hatcher in 4 days (my gorgeous Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana eggs from my avatar). I candled last night and 15 of 18 have healthy chicks at this point. I would be ecstatic if these little guys could hang in there through hatch day.... And then I have my first blue egg also in there which goes into lockdown alone on the 31st :D

I've tried every medicated chick start I can get here and a few unmedicated.  My chicks will starve before eating most of them and I live in the middle of no where so not a lot available.
Mine don't like scraps.  Seriously, they don't like much.  Max eats everything, usually my dinner.

Awww, Max is love and love is Max.  Thanks.
You are welcome :) I don't know what to say about your picky chickens, LOL! Mine are little fiends that attack anything I bring out :D This morning mine got scraps from gluten free pizza, bbq brisket, creamed corn, an apple, crusts from a gluten free PB & J, and some grilled pork. 100 heads all pecking away, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom