November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Haha I am having a great time- this is one of the coolest most exciting things in the world. Hubby called me and told me to step away from the incubator but it's hard to do. I turned to look at the tv and missed one pop out of his egg. I have 8 out so far and 6 pips that I can see. I do have one pipped on the wrong end and he appears to be stuck but I'm going to leave him for a while before I attempt to help.
YAY for you being almost done. Enjoy those little fuzz butts.

Hahahaha, I feel like my eyes are going to fall out, and mine hatched a week ago... chick tv is so much fun. They're so busy :pop

It does, though not very often. I'll have to see if anyone is planning on going there anytime soon. I don't believe they'll take just me in the van to Portland, as it is mainly for the elderly people in the community, and I'm only 21. They were thinking of expanding it to the general public though. My mother drives the county van, so I'll ask her about it when she wakes up from her nap.

For the most part, the van usually goes to The Dalles or the Bend area for doctor's appointments and shopping.

Has anyone ever lost a chick? Like literally. Gone, like into thin air. This is the 2nd time it's happened. I am missing 1 chick. I've ruffled up mommas feathers to make sure it's not hiding in a crevice, I've looked under the nursery, all over the coop. There's no carcass, no ants swarming over a deceased chick. Nothing. I seriously have no idea what happened.

they are pretty little. once I looked everywhere for a lost chick, and thought I must have gotten out and the hens ate it, then a couple months later I was re-arranging coops, and I found her under the coop.

Halfway through Day 20. I THINK I've seen some rocking, but sometimes I think it's my eyes tricking me. Mine are in cartons. I THOUGHT I heard some pecking, but now I'm convinced that it was just the heater making that noise. *deep breath* *reciting mantra: It's in Mother Nature's hands. It's in Mother Nature's hands. It's in Mother Nature's hands."....

I was wondering if the tempature goes down in the incubator to 97 degrees, if the eggs won't hatch? Today is day 24 and still the rest of the eggs aren't hatching. Also I was wondering if there is a reason why the rest of the eggs didn't hatch. I got 12 chicks out of 31 eggs. The tempature was 100 degrees the whole time and there was always water in the tray. And I got a turner so they were turned.

Just let me know.

Thanks,

Hannah in OK

I was wondering if the tempature goes down in the incubator to 97 degrees, if the eggs won't hatch? Today is day 24 and still the rest of the eggs aren't hatching. Also I was wondering if there is a reason why the rest of the eggs didn't hatch. I got 12 chicks out of 31 eggs. The tempature was 100 degrees the whole time and there was always water in the tray. And I got a turner so they were turned.

Just let me know.

Thanks,

Hannah in OK
Hannah, were they shipped eggs? I had to pull quite a lot of mine at day 14 due to there being a "whole lot of nothing" when I candled them. The vast majority of the ones that I pulled had badly scrambled/broken yolks when I opened them (did an "eggscopy"). So they never really had a chance...shipping damaged them beyond what could ever develop into a chick.

Has anyone ever lost a chick? Like literally. Gone, like into thin air. This is the 2nd time it's happened. I am missing 1 chick. I've ruffled up mommas feathers to make sure it's not hiding in a crevice, I've looked under the nursery, all over the coop. There's no carcass, no ants swarming over a deceased chick. Nothing. I seriously have no idea what happened.

yes! I had a mini heart attack searching for him.. somehow he was wedged underneath the wicker nest in a small cave made between shavings and hay. He was so burried, I had to disassemble the outer edges of the hay nest to find him (much to mama's disapproval!). I was especially worried because I had seen broody mama step on him accidentally (and keep standing on him while he screamed) the day before. luckily he was alive :) good luck <3

Well, I've been thinking it's day 21, and I have seen absolutely nothing going on with my eggs. Then I read that the day you set the eggs is day 0 no matter what time it was. Which would mean today is only day 20. Either way, I feel like something should be happening by now, but nothing is. Now I'm not very hopeful... I hate this!

:hit
:th
:barnie

Back
Top Bottom