November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I had another temp spike last night.  It was even higher than last time and I'm afraid it could be fatal. I haven't candled yet but was planning to tomorrow. Tomorrow will be day 10. This time I have NO clue why the temp spiked.  I added water before bed, so I'm clueless. :confused:   I will be glad to candle and see if all is lost.  At this point, what am I looking for to know if they are good or have quit?
I had a temp spike up to 108 on day 12 and I still have movement today on day 15, in 5 of 7 eggs. Wait and see!

Last edited:

oooh did not think of that, ty! I will see how it looks later when I go to do the marans foot. a 2nd maran has hatched, this one was sufficiently wet inside and was out just 45 minutes after initial zip started. the pip was 6 hours prior. I am interested to see if this marans toes are okay or curled (genetic? or humidity problem?)

How did your second Marans toes turn out? Mine had curled toes, just like the first one, but they also straightened out within a few hours.

oh maybe a little roo with it's little copper color on the wings??
from what I've read the Marans with good feathering on their legs have more of the actual French bloodline in them!!
mine are going on 1 month old ( boy time flies) some have feathering and some don't
I had 2 that hatched a copper brown color...roo's ? can't tell by their combs yet
idunno.gif

the first 10 days are sensitive days
110 is considered lethal

I keep checking in to see if you've candled! I'm anxiously awaiting
pop.gif
Thanks for thinkin of me! I'm anxious too! I was thinking I was at day 10, but that's actually tomorrow. I may do a candle tonight since that is pretty close. With the 2 spikes I'm very anxious to see what I have going on. I'm just worried that I won't be able to tell. I may be sharing some candling pics for advice. Last time I was terrible. The ones I thought were good weren't and vice versa! Been doing lots of research and got better lights so hopefully this time around will be easier!

oh maybe a little roo with it's little copper color on the wings??
from what I've read the Marans with good feathering on their legs have more of the actual French bloodline in them!!
mine are going on 1 month old ( boy time flies) some have feathering and some don't
I had 2 that hatched a copper brown color...roo's ? can't tell by their combs yet:idunno

This one has some leg feathers, but the second one has a whole lot more. I'm anxious to know sex!

How did your second Marans toes turn out? Mine had curled toes, just like the first one, but they also straightened out within a few hours.

the second marans has/had curly toes too :( he was hobbling around trying to walk on the toe, bent under the foot. both marans got 2 band-aid booties yesterday. The girl marans is doing great, walking all around! the boy marans is a fat little thing and refuses to walk with the booties on. I just took them off him this morning. (BTW: Baby oil and a q-tip to take sticky stuff off chick feet! works awesome! then clean the oil off with hand sanitizer) He seems to try to walk now, and the curled toe is staying flat, so I might leave the booties off... it was supposed to be on for 4 days, changed daily. going to wait and see..

it's not poo it's egg yolk
how's it doing this morning? seems she hatched premature to have so much of an opening
the welsummer girl's belly still looks bad. I just but antibiotic ointment on it, but this morning it was dry and that made it look better? the other 2 welsummers don't have this problem at all. I'm relieved to hear egg yolk? It really looked like poop to me.. she wasn't premature, but she was first of the welsummers. she took an average time getting out (8hrs from pip to hatch), in contrast to the next 2 wellies who hatched in 2hrs and 1hr flat. It was so fast lol, very different from the other hatches I watched!

Welsummer - Pink legband. I'm wondering if she can recover from this or if she would be a cull? (I can't do that!!!)

fluffy butts!!

pink leg = hurt belly; purple leg = female welsummer; blue leg = female BCM

you can see the male BCM (orange leg tag) sitting awkwardly here. I call him the penguin. this is after taking off his band-aid booties and he's trying to walk some. His feet are flat now after 1 day of booties. sometimes he sticks his right leg out backwards like spraddle leg, but it isn't all the time.

they are under the brinsea brooder until they get old enough to join mama broody and the other chicks.

another wellie is drying off in the incubator, hatched yesterday, and 2 more have pipped :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom