November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Out of 27 eggs, 1 had a blood ring, 7 are Renee's and I don't think Leon is doing his job with her because none show any development, 12 or 13 of the bantam eggs were looking good, and the rest haven't been in long enough to show anything.

Today is day 23 for me - had one hatch day 21, and one hatch yesterday. Three are still left. I've been seeing little movements, but no peeping or pipping. They are all BCMs, but the two that hatched were significantly smaller eggs than the three that are left. Could the three larger ones just need more time? When do I give up?

SO I couldn't wait any longer!  Candled my little eggs this evening!  Right now, I KNOW that at least 5 are good because they have tons of veining and are just swimming all over the place!  LOVED seeing that!  That was a first for me!  2 of them were my white leghorns so my 2 little girls really got a good view! We LOVED it.  Also, there are 2 clears that appear to never have started developing at all.  There are several eggs that even with my new light I'm not confident to say they are good or bad.  Also, at this point if I see a "blood ring" that is a bad thing...right??? I saw that in a few. That means "early quitter" right?  They clearly have a chick in them but no movement and an obvious dark ring.  I know it's not a great rate, but with my temp issues early on I'm just so happy to know there are still some babies growing!!!! YAY!!!! GO CHICKIES GO!!!! :weee :clap :yesss: :yiipchick :woot I'm a little excited...lol!!

Yay! Much better than last time huh! :lol:

Yay! Much better than last time huh!
lol.png
Yes! Much better!! Most people would probably be discouraged by this hatch rate and I'm going jumping jacks!! LOL I was just fearing the worst with the 2 temp spikes in the first 9 days! They are tougher than we think they are!

SO I couldn't wait any longer! Candled my little eggs this evening! Right now, I KNOW that at least 5 are good because they have tons of veining and are just swimming all over the place! LOVED seeing that! That was a first for me! 2 of them were my white leghorns so my 2 little girls really got a good view! We LOVED it. Also, there are 2 clears that appear to never have started developing at all. There are several eggs that even with my new light I'm not confident to say they are good or bad. Also, at this point if I see a "blood ring" that is a bad thing...right??? I saw that in a few. That means "early quitter" right? They clearly have a chick in them but no movement and an obvious dark ring. I know it's not a great rate, but with my temp issues early on I'm just so happy to know there are still some babies growing!!!! YAY!!!! GO CHICKIES GO!!!!
wee.gif
clap.gif
yesss.gif
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif
I'm a little excited...lol!!
if you have a blood ring you have NO veins, the blood settles and forms a distinct ring around the inside of the egg and it looks like settled blood
sometimes the little embryo is deep in the egg or shadowed by the yolk and you can't see it...you may just be surprised in another week when you candle and the chick is taking up more of the inside!

Today is day 23 for me - had one hatch day 21, and one hatch yesterday. Three are still left. I've been seeing little movements, but no peeping or pipping. They are all BCMs, but the two that hatched were significantly smaller eggs than the three that are left. Could the three larger ones just need more time? When do I give up?
if it were me...and some disagree...I would candle them....if you don't see any movement inside it won't hurt to leave them a few more days, if you do see them internally pipped then you'll know....if they are internally pipped and don't externally pip by tomorrow then you can decide if you want to try and help

if you have a blood ring you have NO veins, the blood settles and forms a distinct ring around the inside of the egg and it looks like settled blood
sometimes the little embryo is deep in the egg or shadowed by the yolk and you can't see it...you may just be surprised in another week when you candle and the chick is taking up more of the inside!
Ok. For now I will just hold onto them all and give them some time. I am fairly certain I have 2 clears with NO development, but I'm going to give even them another week and be absolutely sure. Shouldn't hurt anything. I am fairly certain by what you described that I have at least one or 2 with a blood ring...but I can't be SURE. I think I remember they still had SOME veining, so I am not positive. Just going to hold off. When should I candle again? 14 days or hold of until lockdown?

if it were me...and some disagree...I would candle them....if you don't see any movement inside it won't hurt to leave them a few more days, if you do see them internally pipped then you'll know....if they are internally pipped and don't externally pip by tomorrow then you can decide if you want to try and help

I did candle. No internal pipping, no movement, but they are very hard to see into. I think I'll give them to day 25.

Back
Top Bottom