November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I let my one of my orpingtons hatch hers and she did perfect...raised up those babies like a pro
love.gif
nothing sweeter than watching them with their chicks
I was just worried about the weather or that she might lose interest half way through. My incubators are off so I wouldn't be able to save them. She has made her nest next to the coop under a board leaning agaist it under a tarp. Decently protected spot. I will keep an eye on her. I don't even know if my eggs are fertile yet. My roosters are still young.

I'm so excited!! My smooth cochin (bred with my frizzle cochin) just laid her first eggs! I guess I missed on yesterday, but today caught her laying another right next to the first!! I REALLY want to hatch these eggs BUT I have 17 eggs set to lockdown on Wednesday in my bator. I really don't want to wait 7 days to set them and risk them losing viability. But it's probably a terrible idea to set them with my current batch since they will be locking down soon and the others will still need turned. I have another bator that just needs the finishing touches and a day or so to get regulated. Thoughts? Should I wait a week and put in my current bator, place them with the current batch or try to set up my other bator? I guess giving it a couple days may acutally allow her to lay me a couple more so I can set a bigger hatch. hmmmm...

I'm so excited!! My smooth cochin (bred with my frizzle cochin) just laid her first eggs! I guess I missed on yesterday, but today caught her laying another right next to the first!! I REALLY want to hatch these eggs BUT I have 17 eggs set to lockdown on Wednesday in my bator. I really don't want to wait 7 days to set them and risk them losing viability. But it's probably a terrible idea to set them with my current batch since they will be locking down soon and the others will still need turned. I have another bator that just needs the finishing touches and a day or so to get regulated. Thoughts? Should I wait a week and put in my current bator, place them with the current batch or try to set up my other bator? I guess giving it a couple days may acutally allow her to lay me a couple more so I can set a bigger hatch. hmmmm...

Some say setting first pullet eggs is a bad idea. I did it anyway and had trouble with 50% of them being shrinkwrapped compared to 0% of the older hen's eggs having any trouble at all.

Today is day 28/21 for my ducklings and layer flock eggs (mix breeds) and day 20 for my Rhodebar eggs.

I started with
21 duck eggs, all have developed
10 layer flock eggs, 1 never started the rest have developed
12 Rhodebar eggs, 1 smashed during shipping so I set 11. 4 never started (look like they weren't fertile)

And tonight I was sitting in my living room and heard cheeping :) I never even saw this chick pip, or heard any cheeping from the egg or movement, and I've been checking every couple hours, but when he/she decided it was time they came out in a rush :) My first layer flock chick has arrived. Hopefully in the morning there will be more.

Buckle up. Once they start it can get crazy fast! Good luck.

Some say setting first pullet eggs is a bad idea. I did it anyway and had trouble with 50% of them being shrinkwrapped compared to 0% of the older hen's eggs having any trouble at all.
I wasn't clear in my first message. Sorry. It isn't her first egg ever, it's the first egg she has laid since I bought her about a month ago. She was laying prior to that, just took a break while she was adjusting to her new home. I have head that about first eggs as well. I'm too nervous of shrink wrapped babies to try that either. But I'm thinking this should be ok since she has been laying for a good while before this.

I'm so excited!! My smooth cochin (bred with my frizzle cochin) just laid her first eggs! I guess I missed on yesterday, but today caught her laying another right next to the first!!  I REALLY want to hatch these eggs BUT I have 17 eggs set to lockdown on Wednesday in my bator.  I really don't want to wait 7 days to set them and risk them losing viability. But it's probably a terrible idea to set them with my current batch since they will be locking down soon and the others will still need turned.  I have another bator that just needs the finishing touches and a day or so to get regulated. Thoughts? Should I wait a week and put in my current bator, place them with the current batch or try to set up my other bator? I guess giving it a couple days may acutally allow her to lay me a couple more so I can set a bigger hatch. hmmmm...
Eggs don't lose viability till after 10 days. Keep your eggs is a cool place and turn them 3 times a day. Keep collecting the eggs for the next week and see how many you get. I wouldnt put them in the bator with the eggs about to go into lockdown because having to open it to turn the new eggs and losing humidity like you mentioned. That's very exciting! I bet you'll have great hatch rates on homegrown eggs

Buckle up. Once they start it can get crazy fast! Good luck.

So far nobody else has hatched, so I'm still waiting patiently. Yeah, sure, patiently LOL.

How long does it take for a chick to get steady on their feet? All mine have been 3-4 days old when I got them, at minimum. This one can get around because every time I check he/she is in a different section of the incubator, but I noticed it can only get a step or two before falling down and spends more time laying down (perching type position) vs standing, rarely see it fully standing up. Feet and legs look fine, nothing is splayed or formed funny.

Eggs don't lose viability till after 10 days. Keep your eggs is a cool place and turn them 3 times a day. Keep collecting the eggs for the next week and see how many you get. I wouldnt put them in the bator with the eggs about to go into lockdown because having to open it to turn the new eggs and losing humidity like you mentioned. That's very exciting! I bet you'll have great hatch rates on homegrown eggs
That's what I think I'm going to do. Just wait for my bator to be empty again and hope to collect some more eggs before then , even if they are just homegrown mixes. With only having 2 eggs, I would really hate for only 1 to hatch and have 1 lone chick. That happened last time and I now have a chicken who thinks I am mama hen. lol It's still in the house due to weather and if I let it out it follows me around everywhere I go. It's cute, but demanding. lol Trying to not have another single hatch!

Back
Top Bottom