November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I'm glad I don't have to start another because last time I tried, it didn't work. Also Max would be very upset to have to leave his public. Sorry for those of you that only want hatching, I think there might be another hatching thread, but remember this place is here for you too when your in laws come over and turn up your incubator when you aren't looking or the neighbors dog hurts your favorite chicken. These are some nice, understanding people plus a lot of us don't sleep (up watching egg hatch messes with our sleep time cycle) so when something crappy happens, you can usually find some one here. Or even better, when something great happens like first crow, first egg (or 23).

8 eggs to go.................

Auntie who has been helping set the hatch.......................

Sunrise this morning...................

I set eggs on the 29th of November. This is my first group of eggs I have ever done. I have 35 eggs in the incubator. I am a little discouraged I have 35 eggs and looks like 11 for sure are doing well. Two others still not sure and one egg I have a red ring :( I do however think I may have twins. Can anyone help me on this one

My new babies
love.gif

This one's my favorite! She's an olive egger. Not 100% sure on the mom, but the dad was a blue copper marans. She is even fluffier than she looks in the pic with a beard, muffs, & feathered shanks. She loves to snuggle too!

I'm really excited to see this one feather out! She's from a Dark Brahma mom and a Blue Copper Marans dad. She has really heavily feathered legs.

And my last 2 Olive Eggers. One is clean faced/legged with a straight comb and the other has puffy cheeks, a peacomb, and a random patch of fluff on her ankles but the rest of her legs are clean.

Can't wait to see how they feather out!

Weather depending, quail eggs should be here Wednesday. I just ordered the attachments for my automatic turner to hold quail eggs. I didn't know they made them I thought I was going to have to do all 120 by hand!!!

I set eggs on the 29th of November. This is my first group of eggs I have ever done. I have 35 eggs in the incubator. I am a little discouraged I have 35 eggs and looks like 11 for sure are doing well. Two others still not sure and one egg I have a red ring :( I do however think I may have twins. Can anyone help me on this one

My advice (relatively new as well...) if you're not SURE the eggs are not developing, give them a little bit longer before you toss. I ALMOST tossed chicks that later fully developed at the stage you're at. Good luck!!
fl.gif

I'm so excited! Where I live, I haven't had the BEST luck finding much in the way of good pure bread chickens. Today I found a silkie breeder! Also, she even has chicks close to my little one's age!! Guess who m,ay be getting a few friends! She also sells a dozen hatching eggs in Spring for $12. So Guess who will be buying some?? LOL LOVE to breed a sizzle! (Silkie crossed with my frizzles!) They are white. Going to check them out this week when the weather gets better! yay!!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm glad I don't have to start another because last time I tried, it didn't work. Also Max would be very upset to have to leave his public. Sorry for those of you that only want hatching, I think there might be another hatching thread, but remember this place is here for you too when your in laws come over and turn up your incubator when you aren't looking or the neighbors dog hurts your favorite chicken. These are some nice, understanding people plus a lot of us don't sleep (up watching egg hatch messes with our sleep time cycle) so when something crappy happens, you can usually find some one here. Or even better, when something great happens like first crow, first egg (or 23).
Let's all just be calm here. The problem with only typed words on a page is that we cannot see each other, hear the "speaker's" voice tone and inflection and a hundred other subtle things that make up communication. My comment was tongue-in-cheek and pointed at MYSELF because I commented on the naked chicken in a "hatching" thread. It was NOT pointed at you. I've been bashed as well for asking even breed related questions in a breed thread and trust me, what I said was not bashing and not even about the naked chicken. It was a reminder to myself to try to keep on topic. If I ever intend to intimidate or scold anyone here, you will know it without a shadow of a doubt but that's not what I'm here for.

It doesn't hurt to leave eggs if they don't stink. They also help regulate the temp. Did you candle before putting them in the incubator? Did you see a double yolk? Very few double yolkers ahtch well. I've only heard of one or two having both chicks survive. And sometime one dies in the shell causing problems for the other chick. Sometimes just one hatches. Odds are very bad but it seems most people have to try at least once. I haven't because of the stories I have read with the living chick being so ill from the dead chick. I don't want to intentionally hatch an ill chick. Too sad for me. But my curiosity may eventually get the best of me. Could luck with your first hatch. Beware- Hatching is sooooooo addictive.

too precious duchbunny! I lovelovelove the beard on the first one
love.gif

just saw this video where a guy trains his chicken hehe.. inspiration
So funny. I have a few chickens that I could teach but what should I teach them? They already come into the house to lay their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom