November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Final count on my grandbabies- one resealed while pipping, otherwise healthy
sad.png
, the other 11, fluffy happy babies. All eggs develpoed, the resealed chick id the only egg that didn't make it. I have super chickens. After all of my attemps to hatch shipped and local eggs, never getting more than 50% (counting all eggs), store incubators, homemade incbators, 3 gauges in each, my friend got almost 100% with my Easter eggers with her first try.
1505198_1430945877122861_1966084821_n.jpg
1478915_1430930893791026_1914972972_n.jpg
Love the babies! Cute cute cute! Also this: my friend got almost 100% with my Easter eggers with her first try. just says SO MUCH about shipped eggs... helps me cope with losses... thank you for the reminder.. :)
my hatch rate this last month hasn't been the greatest either...I honestly believe usps just got too busy to notice what they were tossing around. I have Marans due next week, doesn't look great but my frizzles eggs look wonderful!!!!!
big_smile.png
I think so too :( I will probably not order eggs in Nov-Dec again. I already ordered 24 more LOL. they are set to ship Jan 6th. at least I had the forethought to avoid Christmas :)
I can't wait!!

can someone help me right now? I am freaking out
my ameraucana girl has a small black shriveled up bit of navel/umbilical since she was hatched. I have treated it with antibiotic ointment and waiting for it to fall off. she has had poop stuck around her bum a little bit, but not full pasty but. I trimmed away some of the feathers in the area and check her daily.

Today I noticed the skin around her vent and navel is black and purple and somewhat swollen looking. what should I do? :( I don't know if adding more ointment topically can treat an internal infection (is that what it is?) should I give anti-biotics? I am looking up information right now but if anyone is online right now.............

ALSO she has a leg problem. I have been treating it like splay leg with a bandaid attaching her legs (I ordered vetrap). but now I am concerned maybe it is a slipped tendon instead. I have felt for the tendon daily but today it looks noticably red/swollen. I pushed her upper leg joint backward and straightened her leg, it feels like the tendon is in right. I am not sure if I put the tendon in, I never felt a pop or anything. maybe that is not the problem, maybe her leg is just deformed? she has been wearing hobbles for 4 or 5 days but no improvement.

Last edited:
pic of her stomach - black spot is the dried up navel
I dried to take a pic of it fluffy but you couldn't see the skin, this is the skin and feathers with AB ointment on it. where it was pink, it is now dark colored purpleish

her leg angle

I think I am going to leave the leg brace off and see if walking on it normally helps. its possible I did slip the tendon on but didnt know it for sure. she is walking better now, so I think I might have

she took a nice healthy poop so that is good with re: to her intestines/navel area
she is 7 days old

Last edited:
Our eggs went into lockdown a few hours ago! :) Not all the eggs were fertile, but out of 18 eggs, 7-8 are possible to hatch 3 of them being very likely from all their movement. :)

pic of her stomach - black spot is the dried up navel
I dried to take a pic of it fluffy but you couldn't see the skin, this is the skin and feathers with AB ointment on it. where it was pink, it is now dark colored purpleish

her leg angle

I think I am going to leave the leg brace off and see if walking on it normally helps. its possible I did slip the tendon on but didnt know it for sure. she is walking better now, so I think I might have

she took a nice healthy poop so that is good with re: to her intestines/navel area
she is 7 days old
I have had some I couldn't fix. One slipped tendons that kept popping back out and sometimes too swollen to but back. They seem happy. I keep them seperate from the others. I have had some that correct themselves. It frustrating when you can't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom