November Hatch-A-Long (2014)

Scramble.....lol
thumbsup.gif

I believe my 3 egg hatch is a bust. I had looked like one of them was developing as late as lockdown but its day 22 with no signs they will hatch.

I will wait a couple more days but I will be very shocked if one of the eggs hatches.

To recap: I'm the one with the tiny little bator.

It was just too small. It wouldn't hold the heat constant. I spent the whole 3 weeks adding or removing toweling trying to keep the temperatures in range. I did have a couple times where it got too high or too low but i don't know for how log it lasted.

The little thermometer that came with the bator was worthless so i used a kitchen thermometer that has 2 degree marks. I tried to buy a glass one at the drug store but was told that they can't get them anymore because they have mercury in them.

Interestingly enough the little bator holds moisture very well. The eggs air cells was the perfect size at lockdown.

I would have liked to have tried this bator in the spring when the household temps aren't fluctuating all over the place. But plan to get a small Styrofoam container in the spring and convert it into a bator using the little light from this one and a computer fan.

Or i could just break down and buy the last one at the feed store.

That's disappointing to hear about the little bator but good to know. I will keep looking for something else for my kids to use

My final stats on the batch of 16 I entered into this HAL. (I think I only entered this batch. Idk I couldn't find my first post, nor my name on the chart. But I think this was the only one.)
Of the 16 set due on Nov 22:
9 made it to the second trimester.
9 survived the move to GA.
9 were alive at lockdown.
7 hatched.
2 appears to have died just after lockdown. (I kinda expected that since one was dropped on the other before lockdown.)

Back
Top Bottom