November Hatch-A-Longs 2017

Pics
EA0B8CCE-41D5-4DC9-81C1-83383C15E7C2.jpeg
Naked neck being semi dominant also means very often there is a visual difference between a bird pure for NN and one not pure for it- the most visible one being a difference in the bowtie size- pure NN have a very small/tiny bowtie and not pure have a much larger bowtie with many feathers and covers more of the lower front of neck.

In my case mine are mixed ones in this hatch, and have the bigger bowtie. I am trying to create a better egg layer that will take the desert heat in the summers here better. This is my project bird. I will still also be breeding for the pure Australorps, and the Transylvanian Naked Necks too.

I know this is now December, but since it came up, from your description, does this chick have a large bow tie, indicating it isn’t pure for the naked neck gene?

@Harmony Fowl Yes, see the featherless on upper neck, and then you have the bowtie, and then featherless again below the bowtie? I suggest that if you breed that one, try to breed to one that has a clean neck (no bowtie).

Have you joined the Naked Neck Turkens thread here yet in the breeds section?
Thanks!

No, I have not. I peeked at it, but this chick was part of a random assortment. I don’t have any other NNs. It was more for my own knowledge’s sake. If it’s a roo it may be enough of a novelty to try to sell instead of eat. If it’s a hen, it’s good to know what the genetics are.

Thanks!

No, I have not. I peeked at it, but this chick was part of a random assortment. I don’t have any other NNs. It was more for my own knowledge’s sake. If it’s a roo it may be enough of a novelty to try to sell instead of eat. If it’s a hen, it’s good to know what the genetics are.

The Naked Necks are getting more and more sought after. The Naked Neck is a gene, and people are breeding them into the other breeds depending on what they are aiming for; bigger egglayers, bigger meatbirds, or bigger dual-purpose. Out here in the desert, it is said the Naked Necks will handle our summer heat better than most breeds will.

The Naked Necks are getting more and more sought after. The Naked Neck is a gene, and people are breeding them into the other breeds depending on what they are aiming for; bigger egglayers, bigger meatbirds, or bigger dual-purpose. Out here in the desert, it is said the Naked Necks will handle our summer heat better than most breeds will.
I wish we could say the same here! We get our hot months, but a NN would not be such an adaption in the freezing winters. Still, novelty is novelty. Now I almost want it to be female so I can have future NNs! But my gut says rooster.

Back
Top Bottom