November hatch along, anyone?

Guys I’m worried!!
I read on some threads about broodys that you have to separate them from the other nest boxes and flock members.
And that you have to put food and water in front of them.
Pippin is in my prefab coop with my bantam cockerel Frodo and 5 other bantam pullets.
It has an enclosed run but she doesn’t come out on her own to eat, drink and poop.
I take her off her nest at least twice a day and put her in the run.
Then she will eat (very little!) and drink and poop.
She also gets very grumpy with the other birds except Frodo, and they give her a wide berth lol.
She usually goes back up to the nest within about 5 minutes.
Is this okay?
Should I be doing more?
She’s healthy and behaving normally (for a broody, lol).
It’s quite cold here overnight with lows in the low to mid 20s.
I am concerned about chicks hatching in temps like that. :oops::th

I'm hatching this month too! I've got 3 satin silkies on lockdown starting tomorrow and 11 of My Pet Chicken Fun and Funky eggs that are on day 12. I need to candle the FF eggs again, I'll do it tomorrow when I pull the others. I'm going to try using a Janoel 12 as a hatching incubator for the silkies and my FF will stay in the Hovabator. I'm excited to see what I hatch out!

Guys I’m worried!!
I read on some threads about broodys that you have to separate them from the other nest boxes and flock members.
And that you have to put food and water in front of them.
Pippin is in my prefab coop with my bantam cockerel Frodo and 5 other bantam pullets.
It has an enclosed run but she doesn’t come out on her own to eat, drink and poop.
I take her off her nest at least twice a day and put her in the run.
Then she will eat (very little!) and drink and poop.
She also gets very grumpy with the other birds except Frodo, and they give her a wide berth lol.
She usually goes back up to the nest within about 5 minutes.
Is this okay?
Should I be doing more?
She’s healthy and behaving normally (for a broody, lol).
It’s quite cold here overnight with lows in the low to mid 20s.
I am concerned about chicks hatching in temps like that. :oops::th
No, you don't need to do more, the less you do for a broody actually the better, (this I know from experience!!)
It isn't ideal to have a broody in the main coop, but it doesn't mean it won't be okay. Moving a broody hen when she's already been sitting on fertile eggs is very very hard! And actually can be disasterous for the eggs, so as long as she isn't too badly disturbed by the others I would leave her for now. If you've got somewhere for her and the chicks to go once they've hatched, that would be optimal, if not, again she'll cope within the main coop. As the other girls are only pullets it should be fine, they haven't grown enough yet to be super mean! And cockerels don't usually go for chicks, in fact they sometimes help mum to raise them.
And you don't have to worry about cold temperatures, a broody hen is a natural storage heater!! She will keep those eggs and chicks toastie and warm.

Good luck.

No, you don't need to do more, the less you do for a broody actually the better, (this I know from experience!!)
It isn't ideal to have a broody in the main coop, but it doesn't mean it won't be okay. Moving a broody hen when she's already been sitting on fertile eggs is very very hard! And actually can be disasterous for the eggs, so as long as she isn't too badly disturbed by the others I would leave her for now. If you've got somewhere for her and the chicks to go once they've hatched, that would be optimal, if not, again she'll cope within the main coop. As the other girls are only pullets it should be fine, they haven't grown enough yet to be super mean! And cockerels don't usually go for chicks, in fact they sometimes help mum to raise them.
And you don't have to worry about cold temperatures, a broody hen is a natural storage heater!! She will keep those eggs and chicks toastie and warm.

Good luck.
Thank you so much.
I candled today and I could see veins.
I’m hoping I didn’t jostle them too much
but I had to take them into the bathroom in the house to candle them.
They did cool off a little but I got them back under her ASAP.
One is a bantam egg and the other is a LF egg.
The bantam egg is from either my red Cochin or the little OEGB that had literally just started laying.
I’m hoping the bantam egg was fertilized by my Silkie who died two weeks ago. :fl
Unfortunately the bantam egg has poop dried onto one side.
I don’t want to wash it because I don’t want to remove the bloom.

Hi!! I ordered sizzle eggs from ebay and they should be hatching this Friday. 6 out of 12 made it.. heres to hoping all 6 hatch!!
I have another incubator going with my own silkie and sexlink eggs that I started Friday!

I struggled getting the temperature to stay up and steady as my incubators are in my garage. Even with styrofoam and blankets. What do you guys to do keep them warm?

Good luck hatching!!

Back
Top Bottom