Novice free ranged chicken owner. Needs help.

Becksbirds

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Can't get a straight answer on hen to rooster ratio. We have 3 hens and one very protective rooster. Is he going to wear out my girls? We thought we were given a hen until he started crowing, etc...He's beautiful and I want to keep him. Do I need to get some more hens?

If you see signs that the hens are being overbred, like missing feathers or injuries, then get him more hens. I had a very nice phoenix roo that was quite happy for years with one or two bantam hens and there weren't any problems. Some roosters are rougher than others. You will just have to watch him. He might be fine. Personally, I would get more hens because you can never have enough!
wink.png

Quote:
I agree with Jody. A protective rooster that's also respectful of his humans is worth his weight in gold; especially if you free-range.
If he tears the girls up too bad, there's always saddles.

I'm with horsejody and gritsar. If your hens back's aren't being torn up then he's fine with just the three. If they start getting 'beat up' by his advances then you probably need to add more hens so he can divide his time between more hens.

Back
Top Bottom