Now I’m confused (food)

Dan nich

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Ok I’ve been feeding a mixture of all flock and layena both Purina foods to my mixed flock of 3 rooster and 17 hens between ages of 17 weeks and 2 years old, I now read a post that layer feed will kill my birds because calcium!? They said to feed non medicated grower 20% protein?? Can someone clarify and should I quit later feed(

What that means is with roosters not laying eggs, the calcium they consume from layer food has no job so it can effect their liver. So yes, get rid of the layer feed and feed everyone the flock raiser with the higher protein - it’s better for everyone. Then offer free choice oyster shell on the side for the hens to supplement their individual calcium needs. They will eat it when they need it, and the roosters will avoid it. They may peck at it out of curiosity and maybe eat some, but a little calcium is fine and won’t kill them. It’s consuming calcium on a regular basis that’s bad for roosters, which is why it shouldn’t be mixed in to the food they are offered.

What that means is with roosters not laying eggs, the calcium they consume from layer food has no job so it can effect their liver. So yes, get rid of the layer feed and feed everyone the flock raiser with the higher protein - it’s better for everyone. Then offer free choice oyster shell on the side for the hens to supplement their individual calcium needs. They will eat it when they need it, and the roosters will avoid it. They may peck at it out of curiosity and maybe eat some, but a little calcium is fine and won’t kill them. It’s consuming calcium on a regular basis that’s bad for roosters, which is why it shouldn’t be mixed in to the food they are offered.
The all flock is 16% protein is that sufficient!?

While it is not the roosters liver but the kidneys that will get compromised in the long run having to deal with excess calcium, I agree with @Aapomp831 on the All Flock or Growerfeed best 18-20% protein, providing extra calcium in a separate dish for the laying hens.

While it is not the roosters liver but the kidneys that will get compromised in the long run having to deal with excess calcium, I agree with @Aapomp831 on the All Flock or Growerfeed best 18-20% protein, providing extra calcium in a separate dish for the laying hens.
Purina and manna pro sell all flock but it’s 16% protein can I mix a bit of meal worms into the food to up the protein?

Ah! I thought it was the liver.... nonetheless, both essential organs one cannot live without lol

Depending on the breeds and their living conditions (i.e.contained in a run and without access to grass or herbs) you could feed them some whole carrots, beetroot or else to keep them occupied and lower the protein percentage if need be.

Back
Top Bottom