Now I see why people were ranting... some answers please????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Momma_Cluck, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We bought a "little Giant" with egg turner last month-- ran it thru our 1st hatch with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever-- stayed right at 100f the whole time!

Now those little fluffy-butts are healthy and happy, we lost only 1 during the hatch...

BUT: THIS batch is 100% different!!!

Of course, now instead of my own "mutt" eggs, I have my special Polish eggs I bought for My DD's Birthday in there---
    day one-- the temp stayed at 100f for the 1st 6 hours, so stopped worrying... until I came home from the store to find it at 106f!!

It took HOURS to get it back to 100f (down to 95-- up to 102-- down to 97-- back up to 102.... EERG!!!) Now it stayed between 99f and 100f for 24 hours-- then WHAMO!! Up to 102f again!!!!

Can I even look forward to a hatch-- or can I pretty much figure they are dead?
    I have about 18 other "mutt" eggs in with them, shoulkd I crack one to see "whats up"???

Candling NEVER works for us... go figure....

ANY help or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated.

2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    You still have a good chance since if it went to 106 in the time you went to the store, the internal rgg temps most likely didn't get that high. Even with a 106 spike for a short time, eggs can, and have survived w/out problem. Candle in a few days expecting the worse, and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised! Good Luck!![​IMG]

3. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    yeah.. those little boogers are stronger than what we give them credit for sometimes! They may be okay!

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    When you adjust temp, do you wait at least 1 hour before you adjust again. My homemade bator has jumped from 98 to 102. I don't adjust. I wait and it levels back out and majority of the time it sets at 99.x. I have had numerous successful hatches. My advice, don't be too quick to adjust the temp.

5. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, did you put anything warm near it? open a window on a sunny day? the room temp needs to be stable for the bator temp to be stable.

6. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    You may have a faulty thermometer. Maybe you should get another one and tuck in the bator. Perhaps with 2 going, you'll get a better reading.

7. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Thank you folks! you have made me feel a bit better-- and more hopeful!

I agree about the thermometer--- I had wondered the same thing....
    [​IMG]

8. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have eggs in 2 Little Giants right now. I highly dislike them. My one was doing great. Temp at 100 for 4 days then I woke up one morning to a temp of 120!!

I was sure my eggs were fried!! I almost tossed them but thought I would give them a chance. Well I'm glad I did! Today is Day 18 and all are fine! I'm looking forward to a great hatch despite the horrible temp spike!

Good luck!

Laurie

9. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    One thing I do with my LG is if the temp drops to say 97 I cover half of it will a towl or small blanket that brings it up to 100 or whatnot without haveing to do the adjusting juggle

10. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I have a 3 LGs and have had good luck. I have 2 thermometers in there and they read 1 degree off. My temp goes down a degree or 2 (seems to happen during the night) but have never had a high spike. I just leave it alone and it goes back up. I have learned that the room the bator is is has to have a stable temp and no drafts. It is a little chilly in the room today so i turned on the fire place to keep it warmer in the there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by