Now someone stole my picture and is using it on EBAY

Thanks everyone for the heads up. I guess we start watermarking all our photos. Too bad that some people think it is okay to steal others photos.

How are they representing the pic?
If they are claiming the bird to be yours, Git 'em!

If theya re saying this is the type of bird, you should ask that they give you and your hatchery/biz (if you have one) credit. as in Photo COurtesy of Whoeverhatchery
www. whoever. com
Like that. It could be free advertising.

Just because a photo is online does NOT mean it is ok for someone to use it.

Especially for financial gain, which basically is what you are doing if you are on Ebay.

If you take a photo, YOU own the copyright to that photo and noone may use it without your permission.

That is why all my pics are posted with my studio name on the side. If people are clever they know how to take them off, but... it does detract people!

The worst part about it for me is that I am the "Ameraucana Police" and they obviously have easter eggers and are using my photo to sell them which makes me feel like this:
774_smiley_getting_kicked_in_the_balls.gif
. if I were a guy.....

Quote:
That is not true. The rights to any photo automatically belong to the photographer, unless transferred to another person. Just because they're online does NOT make them fair game.

I have had very good luck with my photos on flickr. I use Creative Commons licenses on them, and people really seem to respect that very well. I license most of my photos "Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivative Works," which means that I don't mind them being used to illustrate blog posts or news stories or things like that, but the user MUST link back to the original photo or give the photo credit information, and they may not alter the image in any way, and they may not use the image in ANY commercial way. Some of my photos are "All Rights Reserved," and sometimes I get requests for permission to use those. If the person asking is not selling anything, I usually allow it. I had a hotel owner ask to use some of my photos of their area for their website, and I allowed that, and they wound up creating a whole separate page featuring my photos and naming me as the photographer and linking back to my Flickr stream.

The only problem I've had recently was the icanhascheezburger people using one of my photos , but when I emailed them they removed it promptly. Someone had lifted it from my flickr stream, captioned it, and submitted it as their own.

to say,,,, but remember,, if the pic is not copyrighted, and its online ,, its legal for anyone to use it.

No it's not. You can get in serious legal trouble for using someone else's picture without permission even if they uploaded to photobucket, posted it to 5 different forums, and then used it on ebay, eggbid, etc.... It's still their property. You cannot post it anywhere else without a proper link back to the source unless the person gives permission. Ebay accounts are sometimes closed and deleted for that reason. The same with articles and text on the internet. You should not copy and paste any text without providing a link to the source. It's not legal and many forums will ban you for repeatedly doing it. I also know plenty of people with information sites that have gone after others through court for copying their information to other sites and forums without listing the source.

The same rules apply online as in the rest of the world. It's just harder to control online.​

its ONLY copyright infringement if they try to SELL the photo. NOT use it.
and in 95% of the places you have your photos, if you read the fine print on the button you clicked "i agree to your terms" you'll see that the very second you post your pic., it belongs to the site you posted it on.

EDIT: heres the copy right laws.
http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

Last edited:
Quote:
With all due respect, this is inaccurate. You seem to be describing "fair use" law, which would not cover the kind of thing we're talking about here. And even "fair use" can be challenged, and has been successfully fought most of the time that it's been challenged.

Back
Top Bottom