Now that I made a hole in my egg what next?!

Emmytheduckgirl

Songster
Aug 1, 2019
Hello BYC! In the noon I had to make a breathing hole near the top of the egg. The duckling I think was trying to hatch through the top because there was a purple circle and now I believe that the little guy is okay and breathing. Today was supposed to be the 25th day of incubation. When should I expect the little bug to hatch? When will it be time to assist if needed? I really could use the help!

How are things this morning?
I was wondering what research you did prior to starting this adventure? Ducks are not meant to live alone. Do you have everything you need should it successfully hatch - brooder box, heat lamp, duckling food, water source, and since it is alone, a mirror and stuffy toy. Do you know how to teach it to eat and drink?
I am still hoping for the best for you, but sometimes the worst happens.

I'll keep checking in with you.
Not sure where you are so don't know if we have a time difference. It's 7pm here. (hint - add your general location by going to your pic. - top right corner - go to account details - scroll down to find add location - most people give a general idea)
You didn't say if the egg is in an incubator. If you go to the duck thread, someone else just went through this.
I would expect to see some progress by tomorrow morning. Don't help yet. Don't pull the last part of the shell off if it has gone that far. Once out, leave it alone.

I have learned a lot about raising poultry from successes and failures. When I had a question, I turned to BYC for advice and then followed that advice.
Multiple times it was suggested that you stop handling the egg. Believe me, I know how hard that is.
I'm sorry that is sounds like things have not turned out well.
If you have other questions in the future, I have found that you get quicker responses if you post of the specific forum, i.e. Ducks. The more information you can give the better. Also helpful for responders if they know your general location. You may get different advice if you live in Alaska or Florida.

Ducks take a long time to hatch, up to 48 hours. I know you want to help but it can be easy to do more harm than good. Was there an external pip/hole in the egg before you did anything?
Imagine being squished into an egg, and trying to break out with that little beak. There are going to be periods of time where it is resting. Be patient.
I found the best thing for me to do was set a timer for 2 hours. I was not allowed to look in between times and then could peek but not touch.
Keep in touch. Don't worry.

I'll keep checking in with you.
Not sure where you are so don't know if we have a time difference. It's 7pm here. (hint - add your general location by going to your pic. - top right corner - go to account details - scroll down to find add location - most people give a general idea)
You didn't say if the egg is in an incubator. If you go to the duck thread, someone else just went through this.
I would expect to see some progress by tomorrow morning. Don't help yet. Don't pull the last part of the shell off if it has gone that far. Once out, leave it alone.
The baby is in the incubator. I only took it out to check and I put it back in.

Back
Top Bottom