Now what?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Timberlane, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Timberlane

Timberlane Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Maine
    I got my start this year in chickens because I wanted to reduce the amount of ticks in my yard. I aquired 3 older laying hens that no longer produce. My plan was to test the waters with them to see if they would survive, but not keep them through the winter, and get new girls to lay. Everything is going very well so far. I have worked out how to keep them safe from my dogs and so far the wildlife has left them alone. I have made a few mistakes. The first one was naming them, the second was falling for their funny and entertaining personalities. They follow me around the yard all the time; even when mowing! There is no way now that I can get rid of them...Ana, Rhoda and Isles are here to stay...Dang it![​IMG]

2. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    you need to get them a coop..

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    yep.
    you've been chicken brained. It is a subtle form of brainwashing.
    No known cure.

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    You're in for it now! No one warned any of us about the dangers of this endeavour and now... Well, the rest is history. No escaping it! Actually I really like it... [​IMG] But this is just what my family is doing! [​IMG]

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

Yep, they are quite personable and entertaining. The next symptom is chicken math.[​IMG]

6. ChiknMama

ChiknMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Time to build a nice home for them and all of the future members of the family [​IMG]

At times I am thankful for limits on chickens where I live or I would be in SOOOO much trouble [​IMG]

7. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    As soon as you name them, it's all over. [​IMG]

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG] So THAT'S what happens!

9. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:Yes chicken math! I started out the same way, wanting to control ticks. We got 2 and now we've got 46 and it's even divided out to 5 ducks!

10. Timberlane

Timberlane Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Maine
    Well, my Dad and I just finished building the new chicken coop. It is all painted and ready to move to it's final location. This morning the girls were out in the yard and I called them to the back door and they came running! They are so funny! I am in so much trouble![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by