NPIP Certification for NC

Dutchlion....who did you email? I want to do this sooner rather than later so I figure I should start now (well, in about 3 weeks when my hatch is done) They test every bird in the yard?

Thanks!

Dutchlion....who did you email?  I want to do this sooner rather than later so I figure I should start now (well, in about 3 weeks when my hatch is done)  They test every bird in the yard?

Thanks!

I emailed the NC state vet... They will get back with you to talk about what goes on and set up and appointment.yes they will test every bird. And then if/when you purchase new birds they must come from an NPIP flock. You can look up with email on the NC ag website. :)

Last edited:
So, I am now officially on the schedule for March 31. But I think I have a pretty big hiccup. Here's the deal.

All of my flocks are of age to be tested and from what the rep told me, the offspring of these that recently hatched, although not old enough for testing will be considered done if parents are good to go. That takes care of a few.

Where my hitch comes in is the 13 eggs I hatched WITH mine that aren't mine - and are not from an NPIP farm. These babies won't be old enough and therefore will not be able to be tested until NEXT year. What is the rule on having non-tested birds at a clean tested farm? Do they have to be totally separated until anniversary testing? Or does it mean that any eggs/chicks will be considered untested. The crux of this is that the pullets that I plan to keep won't even be of laying AGE until probably October so it's not like I'm even going to be actually breeding them until next spring AFTER testing anyway. Just wondering if having untested birds messes up stuff....

So, I am now officially on the schedule for March 31.  But I think I have a pretty big hiccup.  Here's the deal.

All of my flocks are of age to be tested and from what the rep told me, the offspring of these that recently hatched, although not old enough for testing will be considered done if parents are good to go.  That takes care of a few.

Where my hitch comes in is the 13 eggs I hatched WITH mine that aren't mine - and are not from an NPIP farm.  These babies won't be old enough and therefore will not be able to be tested until NEXT year.  What is the rule on having non-tested birds at a clean tested farm?  Do they have to be totally separated until anniversary testing?  Or does it mean that any eggs/chicks will be considered untested.  The crux of this is that the pullets that I plan to keep won't even be of laying AGE until probably October so it's not like I'm even going to be actually breeding them until  next spring AFTER testing anyway.  Just wondering if having untested birds messes up stuff.... 

You would have to check with the state vet/rep. I am not sure, since they are so young, how that would work.

The cost just went up slightly... It's still very reasonable. If you email or call the state veterinarian, they will be able to give you all the information. The fees are the same no matter where you live in NC.

I am so very happy I found your thread! I am thinking of becoming npip certified.. Can you tell me the numer or name of the person you called. I am getting nowhere!

Last edited:
I am so very happy I found your thread! I am thinking of becoming npip certified.. Can you tell me the numer or name of the person you called. I am getting nowhere!

You call the state vet of NC. They will answer all your questions. Everyone I've spoke n with there is very nice and helpful. You can find the phone number on the ncagr website.

Back
Top Bottom