NPIP Certification in TEXAS

I also have been getting confusing information about NPIP. I was told that the fee would be $75.00 - $100.00 for my operation.
But, then they said I would have to have an approved avian vet do disease testing every 3 or 4 months at my expense. They said this could run as high as $5.00 per bird. All birds 16 weeks and over were to be tested.
I would have to do complete bio-security, no new birds except for what I hatch, unless it comes from another NPIP certified operation.
I could not sell any birds that had not been tested, and not sell any eggs from any hens that had not been tested.
In order to sell eggs for human consumption, I would have to get a certification from USDA. That would involve them testing eggs for transmittable diseases at regular intervals. I did not get into the fees for that, I had heard enough by that point.
I would still have to get the PT test done as I do now.

I have also been told that it is free, and also that it is only a yearly fee with no testing having to be done other than the P/T.

I haven't gotten any straight answers...so I do what I know is legal, and I don't have any problems with USDA or TAHC.

This is a short version of what I know to be fact:
I do what I have been doing for years. I get my PT test done every year (USDA does this), I pay a fee to Texas Animal Health Commission for a certificate of registration for domestic and exotic fowl. (The fee is based on the number of birds you have). An agent comes out and inspects every year before my certificate expires (free).
I can sell fertile hatching eggs, what they do with them after they buy them is their business. I have to use clean cartons and if I put eggs in used cartons, I have to have a label on them saying that they are ungraded and where they are produced.
(If you pay a yearly $25.00 fee for the P/T papers, you can ship eggs out of state, and transport birds out of state as long as you are in compliance with that states laws)
I can take chickens to any small animal auction, flea market, etc. within Texas to sell them.
I can't sell them to a feed store for them to re-sell without being NPIP certified, unless the feed store has a P/T test and a certificate of registration from TAHC in the business' name.

If you only intend to sell from your house and never take your birds or eggs anywhere else to sell them, all you need is the yearly P/T test, which is free.
You do not need anything else in order to sell from your home.

If you intend to sell extras or hatching eggs at an auction or flea market, etc., you will need the P/T test and the Certificate from TAHC. If you only plan on having around 75 birds, the cost is $25.00 a year. That price is for up to 99 birds.

If you want to chat more about the info you have and what I have, you can email me or PM me. I am always trying to find out more information on this subject. Maybe one day the USDA and TAHC will actually talk to one another and come to one decision.

Jean

I also have been getting confusing information about NPIP. I was told that the fee would be $75.00 - $100.00 for my operation.
But, then they said I would have to have an approved avian vet do disease testing every 3 or 4 months at my expense. They said this could run as high as $5.00 per bird. All birds 16 weeks and over were to be tested.
I would have to do complete bio-security, no new birds except for what I hatch, unless it comes from another NPIP certified operation.
I could not sell any birds that had not been tested, and not sell any eggs from any hens that had not been tested.
In order to sell eggs for human consumption, I would have to get a certification from USDA. That would involve them testing eggs for transmittable diseases at regular intervals. I did not get into the fees for that, I had heard enough by that point.
I would still have to get the PT test done as I do now.

I have also been told that it is free, and also that it is only a yearly fee with no testing having to be done other than the P/T.

I haven't gotten any straight answers...so I do what I know is legal, and I don't have any problems with USDA or TAHC.

This is a short version of what I know to be fact:
I do what I have been doing for years. I get my PT test done every year (USDA does this), I pay a fee to Texas Animal Health Commission for a certificate of registration for domestic and exotic fowl. (The fee is based on the number of birds you have). An agent comes out and inspects every year before my certificate expires (free).
I can sell fertile hatching eggs, what they do with them after they buy them is their business. I have to use clean cartons and if I put eggs in used cartons, I have to have a label on them saying that they are ungraded and where they are produced.
(If you pay a yearly $25.00 fee for the P/T papers, you can ship eggs out of state, and transport birds out of state as long as you are in compliance with that states laws)
I can take chickens to any small animal auction, flea market, etc. within Texas to sell them.
I can't sell them to a feed store for them to re-sell without being NPIP certified, unless the feed store has a P/T test and a certificate of registration from TAHC in the business' name.

If you only intend to sell from your house and never take your birds or eggs anywhere else to sell them, all you need is the yearly P/T test, which is free.
You do not need anything else in order to sell from your home.

If you intend to sell extras or hatching eggs at an auction or flea market, etc., you will need the P/T test and the Certificate from TAHC. If you only plan on having around 75 birds, the cost is $25.00 a year. That price is for up to 99 birds.

If you want to chat more about the info you have and what I have, you can email me or PM me. I am always trying to find out more information on this subject. Maybe one day the USDA and TAHC will actually talk to one another and come to one decision.

Jean
Hey Jean... I'm Keri and I'm trying to see what I need to do to sell my chicks and maybe eggs and found your article very interesting but have a cpl of questions.. could you pm me at your convince? Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge..

Hey Jean... I'm Keri and I'm trying to see what I need to do to sell my chicks and maybe eggs and found your article very interesting but have a cpl of questions.. could you pm me at your convince? Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge..
Keri, that member hasn't been active on the site in 7 years, and that post was from 2010, the laws in TX have changed since then (for example TAHC no longer does the testing and it's no longer free). You might try in your state's thread for anyone that is doing what you want to do, or contact your state's agency rep: http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/OfficialStateAgencies.pdf

Instructions on how to include your location on your profile should have been in your welcome message along with a link to where to find your State thread.

Back
Top Bottom