NPIP certification pros/cons

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rottlady, Mar 28, 2016.

1. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    NPIP Certification

Pros?
    Cons?
    Total PIA things?

Our state (NH) does AI and Pullorum testing with option to do Mereks and MG but they really caution about doing MG because it is so common in our region that once you fail it is a reportable disease and you then have to cull and sanitize

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My state cautions the same for AI.
    I'm in favor because I ship eggs and live poultry. I couldn't do so legally without NPIP. I can't afford fines.
    Each state is different but for me:
    Pros are it's free, fast and easy.
    Cons are I have to catch every bird over 4 months of age the same month every year.

3. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    The only reason I looked it was because to sell any live birds in state at all I need to EITHER be NPIP OR have a state dealer license and have each bird AI/Pull tested before sale

Now most people here do NOT do that they just go on the local Farm/garden FB page and sell away. I'd like to do things legally

The whole NPIP biosecurity thing seems overwhelming having grown up on farms and no one ever caring about this stuff before. The whole can't buy birds/eggs except from NPIP breeders, can't let anyone near your coops (so buyers, friends can't see your birds) and what about babysitters when you are away??etc...............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by