NPIP certification

You don't really need to do it unless you show your birds or just want to have it done. Testing is required at shows but If you don't have them tested then there are testing agents at the shows that will test the birds you're showing. Having them tested at my place I get a card in the mail that shows my flock has been tested so when I check in I don't have to have the birds tested at the shows I show them my card when I check in then coop my birds.

and I'm an Independent (I think). Selling live Poultry is incidental to selling shell eggs for human consumption (different licensing), but the testing is free, provides me reassurance regarding the health of my flock (for a couple things at least), I live close to several State borders - States that want to know the source of birds crossing their border are from tested flocks), and **IF** I am ever successful in my breeding project, when I do start selling the offspring in a more serious fashion, as a matter of salesmanship, its better to advertise NPIP participant since 2021, as opposed to NPIP since last week... Gives the impression I'm in it for the long haul.

and since my first Cert inspection was back in April, my tester and I are not yet on a first name basis... I absolutely DO need a way to contain my birds for testing, however. Last time was frustrating, to say the least.

and I'm an Independent (I think). Selling live Poultry is incidental to selling shell eggs for human consumption (different licensing), but the testing is free, provides me reassurance regarding the health of my flock (for a couple things at least), I live close to several State borders - States that want to know the source of birds crossing their border are from tested flocks), and **IF** I am ever successful in my breeding project, when I do start selling the offspring in a more serious fashion, as a matter of salesmanship, its better to advertise NPIP participant since 2021, as opposed to NPIP since last week... Gives the impression I'm in it for the long haul.

and since my first Cert inspection was back in April, my tester and I are not yet on a first name basis... I absolutely DO need a way to contain my birds for testing, however. Last time was frustrating, to say the least.
So, same benefits regardless of category?

For selling across state lines there are additional testing required done when I have my birds annual testing done. I hope that makes sense.

So, same benefits regardless of category?
Yes. I've got a card with my NPIP number, identifying me as an NPIP plan participant with a date its good until. Separately, I have another card with my FL Dept Ag Premises ID. I'm also registered with the US Dept of Ag as a farm/poultry op and for land conservation and habitat improvement reasons - though I'm not currently on a conservation plan.

For a guy who values his privacy, I've had to leave footprints in a lot of Gov't sand. ;)

/edit and next visit, I'll check which way they have me registered. Or I'll log into the APHIS database, maybe it says. Oh, that reminds me, FL does not automatically send you an ID and password to log in and use the electronic 9-3 forms. I mentioned including it in the cover letter with your card - its under consideration - but for now, you need to request access separately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom