NPIP...NAIS?

Melilem

Songster
13 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Florida
I hope this is in the right section...
OK I got my chickens tested to put them in a show, but now I have the option to have them NPIP tested. I looked it up and it seems that I would be registering my premises and not be allowed to sell chickens to non-npip members. I don't see the benefit, it sounds like a mini-NAIS to me. I don't want to do something just cause everyone else is doing it (case in point, I am 35 and do NOT have a cellphone, it's a ripoff). It appears that every benefit I have with NAIS, I have already with this little sheet of paper that says I have tested negative for pullorium and typhoid or whatever it was. Any input or clarification?

OH! and I can only feed my chickens pelletized food? And I can't have incubators in the same room as other chickens or stored items...

NPIP is the national poultry improvement plan it tests for salmonella and pylorum typhoid (sp) , the Nais is the national animal identification , boh are good to be a part of. Yes with NPIP you can sell to non NPIP people, you just don't want to receive from non npip. The nais just wants and needs to know what you have and where you got it in case something bad occures in your area. It is to help you not hinder you. If you care for your flock you will accept from NPIP participants and or quarenteen everything that is not until it can be inspected. It really is for the saftey and well being of all. Don't fret just think of your pets and do whats best for you.
wink.png
Pelletized feed I don't get but it does under go a heat press to become pelletized however crumbles are pellets crumbled. And of course for cross contamination I don't know anyone who really runs their incubator in the barn.

Last edited:
I would have to disagree about NAIS or NPIP being "good for you". And I don't think I'm alone on that, but that's a discussion for another day! The government would like you to believe these programs are for tracking illness but they have a hidden agenda, as do most government programs.

I agree, Melilem, with your suspicions and your thoughts on cell phones, as well!
smile.png

NPIP has been around since the 1930s. If it was a bad program folks would have figured it out by now! But it was started back in the days when government actually tried to be helpful to small farmers. NAIS is a whole different ball of wax, however. Its sole purpose seems to be to put the small farmer out of business or to make it so difficult and complex to farm that the small farmer/hobby farmer will throw his hands up in disgust and walk away.

JMO.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I do not agree here. I don't see any problem with the NPIP, but there are to many with the NAIS. I am not going to turn this thread into a great big NAIS debate out of consideration to the OP, BUT please do not register your farm for the NAIS. Once you do, you are signing sole rights to the government to come onto your property at any given time to destroy your chickens because someone else's farm several miles away had sick chickens. There will be no testing of your flock done and no questions asked. You will have already given them the permission to do this, so legally they can and will. These two programs are NOT the same and are not both good to be a part of.

say NO to NAIS. Not only do they want to know exactlt what you got but when you leave ypur property with an animal you have to let them know every time. And if they feel you have disease they can take them all test and dispose as they see fit. ErinM

As far as I know Pullorum/Typhoid testing for shows is done under the auspices of the NPIP program & is administered by the various states. Who was it that tested your birds &where did you get your information about NPIP restrictions? I have been a participant in the NPIP program for years. I can sell birds to anyone I want to, but any new stock I bring in has to be from an NPIP tested source. I can feed anything I choose. Having incubators in with chickens wouldn't make sense anyway but when I am inspected annually they just check to see that my incubators are kept clean.
I also don't want this to turn into another NAIS war but as to premises ID-if you get mail at home &/or pay property taxes the government already knows where you are

I am NPIP certified and I know nothing about having to only feed pelletized feed. Never heard of it before. Besides it is impossible to feed chicks pellets. So, I believe that is not a correct statement.

You can sell to whom ever you like, but you are limited in purchasing stock and eggs from NPIP members. I believe there is the option of purchasing stock from nonmembers, but they must be kept in strict quarantine and the State will have to come out immediately to test the birds and if they are ok, then you add them to your flock.

Yes there is a regulation if you want to be classified as a "hatchery" that you must keep your incubator in a seperate room from chicks or stored items. It is a good idea as alot of diseases float in the air and incubators with fans can suck in particles of dust and disease. With small backyard breeders the National Plan has told the States to give us some exceptions so we can continue our hobbies and businesses.

You can still sell chicks and not be classified as a hatchery by not selling day old chicks. You can sell two day old or three day olds and be fine.

I am in the process of modifying an old dog kennel into a sealed room for my incubators. I will have another sealed up room for brooding may day old chicks before they get shipped out too.

I am totally against NAIS, but I like the NPIP program as they are trying to eradicate pullorum and thyphoid and the spread of other contagious disease with these rules.

Some of the people who oversee the program are new to it and don't know the ins and outs of the program. So, if you have questions about the rules they are quoting, I would call the National Program in Conyers, GA.

Im going to be getting all of my chickens and waterfowl in the NPIP program this fall.

I do not agree with the NAIS. The NAIS is the dumbest program I have ever heard of. If an animal dies or gets lost, etc. they want to be notified within 24 hours. They want to microchip all farm animals. You will need to pay for each microchip. It is a crock of "something"! It is too stupid to even work. They want to weed out all of the small farmers and chicken hobbiests (sp?) and turn everything over to big businesses.

About the NPIP. How do they know if you purchase non-NPIP certified eggs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom