NPIP ????'s new question :-)

rarebreedeggs4u

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
Morrow, AR
I just heard from "my" tester for the NPIP program! We are tentatively scheduled for either the 25th of this month or 1st of next. I'm SO excited!!! Any advice or things I should make sure to do before then, besides my breed lists and counting????
big_smile.png

Last edited:
That's about all you can do. The tester will do the rest.

As far as breeds lists the tester will need to look up the codes to enter them on the official form but a good list is always helpful.
If you have a card table that could be set up as a central testing point that would be helpful as would having someone there to hold birds while they test and another to catch birds and get them to the table.

When we test we usually bring our own water and alcohol for clean-up but more is always good too.

If a bigger laying flock is being tested cages to hold the ones already tested is almost a must.

Actually there are a few things you can do. Lock them all in there houses the day they come. so there easy to catch. Also make sure you have no quail and chickens together in the same pen. You can get into trouble for that.
-mark

I just had mine here in Colorado yesterday. There was a crew of three so I mostly needed to stay out of the way. One critical thing is to set up a situation so it is easy to keep the birds that have been tested from those thaat are still needing to be tested.

My crew was awesome very helpful and very effecient. I have about sixy birds and it took them just a bit over an hour to do the testing.

Sure glad I did it. One of the best things for me is that it establishes a relationship with the University and they can help with post mortems if needed and a lot of other issues as welll.

I was under the impression that the birds are banded as they are tested, so it would be easy to tell who's been tested and who hasn't? My breeder flocks are all in seperate cages of 3-15 birds, so no problem there. I was planning to make sure I had 2 pens for the mixed layer flock, so they could go in another one as they were tested. My naughty turkeys are already up...brats. No quail, so we're OK there. Hmmm, what about the incubator swabs? They should be clean, they always are, but there may be eggs in the hatcher too. A quick opening won't be that big of a deal though... I am making sure my husband will be home to help. He knows zippo about chickens though, except that they poop a lot and taste good
wink.png

National Poultry improvement plan.

I thought they would be banded as well but not here in colorado.

I would be interested to know if they swab your incubator they were not interested in my hatching operation at all.. I made it really clear to them that I had a hatch going. They did not check my brooder either.

Last edited:
They are very specific about conditions in and around the incubator. It lists the band cost as part of the testing, so I hope I get bands
smile.png
I was only using 1 incubator when I booked (in October) and have now added another one, ouch~LOL

From the form-

SPECIFIC PROVISIONS FOR HATCHERIES
Hatcheries, including brooder rooms, shall be kept in sanitary condition.
1) Incubator walls, floors, and trays shall be kept free from broken eggs and eggshells.
2) Tops of incubators and hatchers shall be kept clean.
3) Entire hatchery, including sales room, shall be kept in a neat, orderly condition and free from accumulated dust.
4) Hatchery residue, such as eggshells, infertile eggs, and dead germs shall be disposed of promptly.
5) Hatchers and hatching rays shall be cleaned and disinfected after each hatch.

$30.00/Inspection
$.15/test
$.15/band
$ 7.00/incubator swabs (up to 4 swabs)

I guess you get what you pay for LOL. Here in Colorado there is no charge if you allow them to do the additional test for Avian Influenza, otherwise 12.00 I am a bit surprised that the procedures vary so much from state to state.

I wanted bands that is for sure.

My state doesn't offer the bands, they take a list of the bird, variety and band number.

Some states also don't list private breeders as hatcheries. I have been trying to get WA to list me as a hatchery and have followed the rules. I have a seperate hatching and brooder room, etc.

They haven't updated with NPIP for two years now..... can't get them to update my varieties on the Federal list either.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom