NPIP testing?

LilyD

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
So I was wondering about other peoples thoughts about NPIP testing. I was considering having it done this spring on the older hens and roosters that I have before my new batch of babies gets here this spring. Most of them are two years old or older and this year I lost two I am pretty sure was to the heat since they passed away when the temps were above 100 degrees and the humidity was super high. I lost one to laying a goose sized egg that was so large she couldn't fully pass it when I was at work so there was no one here to help her. Today I just lost my fourth bird a large gorgeous hen that had no symptoms of illness before today. She had just finished her moulting a few days before and so I am wondering if that combined with the -30 below temperatures outside were enough to just stress her out too much. I found her under the light in the coop away from everyone else. All my other hens seem very healthy other than that they are trying to finish up their 2 year old moult for those that are 2 and so some of them have bare spots and new feathers coming in in certain spots so they look a little bit fluffy rather than sleek and fully feathered like normal. But their eyes are bright and they are very healthy other than the moult at the worst of times.

All these things together make me think that I should have the whole flock tested to make sure they are disease free. I had heard that the NPIP testing tests for the major illnesses that chickens get and if they are given the all clear then they can be certified as a healthy flock. I have a new batch of layers coming in sometime this spring or summer that is from a NPIP certified flock so I know that they will be healthy other than the stress from travel.

Has anyone else done this and is there anything else I can do? I would love to hear thoughts from others as to if you had testing done and why or why not you had it done.

NPIP doesn't mean the birds are healthy. It just means they are Pullorum - Typhoid clean. They may also be tested for Salmonella enteritidis, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma synoviae and Mycoplasma meleagridis and Avian Influenza but not necessarily. It doesn't mean they don't carry innumerable other maladies.
NPIP certification is required for shipping birds and eggs across state lines and sometimes selling chicks within one's state.
If one plans to sell and ship it is a good idea, if not, I wouldn't.

I do plan on selling chicks and eggs but only in state to begin with. My issue up here is we don't have anyone who does avian vet services for chickens so I pretty much am guessing what happened and what they passed from. The only one I know for sure is the one hen that had the pyonatal hernia because I found her dead in the coop with the egg only partially out. It was bigger than the palm of my hand and there was no way that she could have passed it. No one was home to help her so she passed from the stress poor thing. The others did not seem ill before or after they just passed away and I would find them dead in the coop but they were happy and healthy right up until they died. So I am a little unsure.

If your birds did have Salmonella/Pullorum/Typhoid, you would know it. Those diseases are very serious and all your birds would most likely be sick. I think the testing is just to certify the disease is not in their blood stream. I have my birds tested annually because I show. It is a very simple and painless process, provided your birds are friendly. If you contact your state extension or agricultural department, you should be able to get the inspector's contact info. It is totally free, at least where I live, and doesn't take very long. I recommend doing it.

Salmonella can be carried quietly and passed through the eggs. I have mine checked for my peace of mind. Also I am NPIP and an A1 flock. Its just something I like knowing. I give eggs away to friends and family. I like to know they are as safe as possible. Each year because of family I and my chickens migrate across two state lines from mtns to coast, a trip of 400 miles,( yes its upsetting for all of us) the test are nec. Gloria jean

Is there no Agr. Dept.? You can call to have them come and get you tested for npip? they will also do the other test for a fee.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom