Nubian or Saanen? Pros and cons of each breed...

miss_thenorth

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
SW Ont, Canada
Okay, my fence is FINALLY done, and I was going to drive an hour and a half to go pick up a nubian doe. But I just saw an ad in the paper of someone locally selling saanens--same price.

Which one should I choose. I understand nubians are dual purpose, their milk is richer in butter fat, and they are extremely cute.

My husband doesn't care for the looks of the saanens, (doesn't like all white). What are some pros and cons of each breed to help me make my choice. I will be getting one this week.

So, I am asking you all to sell me on a breed, b/c at this point, I am undecided.

Thanks

Well, I am not versed in the selling points of either breed but if it were me I would go with the Nubians. Is the only reason you are considering the Saanan's because they are closer? If that's the only benefit then I would go with the ones that I like the looks of and the fact their milk is richer...I mean, if you're going to be looking at an animal for any long term it may as well be one you LIKE to look at....just my 2 cents worth
smile.png

Personally, I don't care so much about the looks. Saanens are known to be great milkers, where nubians are dual purpose. What is the milk like from the saanens? Are they friendly? good mothers? I don't know too much about them as I have only really researched nubians--since they were the only ones I could find for sale.
At this point--I have to make a decision before Friday.
And personally, an hour and a half is a big deal so I want the drive to be worht it. Fuel costs, aside from taking time away from my work around here. (I have ALOT of work to do around here) I basically want the best milk goat.

I raise Nubians. I like them.

I'm sure if I raised Saanens I'd like them. I just don't like looking at them as much.

You will be feeding the beasts every day, twice, of the next 10+ years. Select a breed which you enjoy the site of, because you'll be seeing a lot of them.
big_smile.png

I prefer the Nubians, IF you get a good line....ask to see the dam's bag and ask how she milked.
You do NOT want one with tiny little ta-ta's or with teats the size of your pinkie.
Also make sure she's friendly. Nothing's worse than chasing down a goat on a muddy, cold, wet day.....

I don't suppose you're near Indiana are you? I have 3 pregnant does and some yearlings and kids for sale..

Quote:
Sorry-nowhere near you!! (in Ontario, Canada) I have been having a difficult time finding goats for sale....maybe I just don't know where to look.

Saanens are good milk producers but I just don't personally like the all-white look. Nubians are beautiful and I love them, but in my somewhat limited experience they tend to be noisier than other breeds. (If my limited experience is not generally accurate I'm sure I'll be corrected here!)

I think nubians are noisier. Saanens may be better for cold climates. General health and personality are important tho. I would go look at both and get whichever ones turn you on. Be sure and get 2 or more. A young doe and her doeling would be a good start.

Back
Top Bottom