Nugget Goes Broody..... UPDATE Chicks Hatched /PICS!!!

We candled Nugget's eggs today while she was dustbathing. Had to remove 2 EEs and 1 of the 2 Blue Orps (clears). So, she's down to just 5 eggs now, 4 EEs and 1 Blue Orp. I know we've removed 4 eggs total from her clutch, but I thought we started with 8. Guess it was 9--my DH said he added one the next morning after she started.

My Blue Orp pullet, Dusty, is still on and off the nest. Not sure which way she'll go here. We keep pulling her off and she goes outside then comes back in and gets on her empty nest.

Nugget is going into Day 16 tonight with her remaining eggs. She's very dedicated, only eating and drinking when DH pulls her off in the a.m. She eats and drinks alot, then runs around screaming like a crazy woman, then allows herself to be herded back into her little pen. Every other day, she gets a major dustbath. If they all hatch, there will be several Barred Easter Eggers and one BBS Orpington; all will have to find new homes within two or three weeks, though I may allow her to keep just one.

Dusty is still sitting in the nest all day long, only getting off to eat first thing in the a.m. She has no eggs under her and I currently have nowhere else to put her without some rearranging. So, I hope she just eventually snaps out of it.

Nugget is sticking closer to the nest than ever. She gets hauled off to eat and drink and usually, loves a good dustbath. Today, which is Day 18, she would not settle down and ran back to her nest as fast as she could. I figure that they'll start pipping on Day 20. She has been so faithful to the nest, I am very impressed with her as a broody so far. Just hope that she is as good a mother once they arrive.
There are 4 Barred Easter Eggers and 1 Blue Orp under her. (I also have 2 Barred EEs and 5 Orps in the bator on Day 10 today)
Hey, anyone want some Barred Easter Egger and BBS Orp chicks?
wink.png
I won't be keeping these.

I'll be coming over later to get the Barred girl and the Del boy, so if you still have the B/B/S she/he can come too
smile.png
Your orps are truly gorgeous. And I love the genetics stuff behind BBS. The more the merrier. LOL

One of my new group of sizzles is a splash, he's a hoot but Sarah wants him back if he's a splash roo for her ongoing sizzle project. I'll have a lot of funny little sizzle blues to keep the lil orp company.

Sounds good. I'll need a little time to determine the first Delawares I will be letting to to new homes, but it will pass quickly for both of us, I bet. Then the first round of culls (hate to use that word considering the lines these come from!) will be ready to go. We'll just play it by ear with Nugget's babies. I sure hope the one BBS Orp hatches!

Back
Top Bottom