Nugget Goes Broody..... UPDATE Chicks Hatched /PICS!!!

Day 19 is ending and Nugget has moved all five eggs off her nest and into the floor in the shavings and is sitting on them there. That's what my Buff Orp, Sunny, did just before the eggs began to pip. This is so exciting! I bet she's a good first time mama since she comes from a long line of good mama hens, right Jody?

fl.gif

Well, I never catch her doing it, but I imagine she just uses her beak and rolls them toward wherever she wants them. My DH just came inside and said she has moved them again, into a back corner this time. I hope she doesn't make them dizzy, LOL. I have no idea if it messes anything up, but I'm counting on her instinct to tell her what to do.

Nugget has at least two babies hatched underneath her as Day 20 is ending tonight. My DH pulled out two complete blue eggshells, but one baby we saw is black (Barred EE) and one is blue! Either there in a shell from the lone BBS Orpington in there that he didnt feel OR this baby is a BLUE Barred EE. Only one is very fluffy, the blue one is still quite wet. The only pic I could get is Nugget, showing how she moved the eggs off the nest to hatch.
DCP_2274.jpg

Well good for Miss Nugget!
She is quite the little lady, doing a great job her first time round at mothering.
smile.png

No idea, Christine, but both Sunny and Nugget both did it and if memory serves, Suede's daughter, Glenda, did too.
Well, the blue chick is NOT the Orpington! It's blue so would have to be a Blue Barred EE. Can't wait for it to dry and get out so I can see. The lone Orp egg still is not pipped. The mother of the blue chick is defiinitely either Charlotte or Nora, my two Blue Ameraucanas, sired by my BR rooster Dutch or his brother, Mace. The only egg we had in the nest from my splash girl, Snow, was not fertile and was removed. I'm excited! I really wanted a blue barred one to hatch. We'll check later to see if any of the remaining eggs have hatched. Here is Nugget with the first little one, which has a teensy headspot.
DCP_2275.jpg

So, Cyn, will the blue baby definitely have barring, or do you have to wait for it to feather to know for sure?

Nugget sure is concentrating hard!!!
lol.png
You'd think she was in labor or something!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom