Nugget Goes Broody..... UPDATE Chicks Hatched /PICS!!!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
She really could have done this a couple weeks ago when I set eggs in the bator. Seems that since she's just today gone over the edge, that it would be a bit scary giving her chicks from this hatch. So, guess we'll give Miss Nugget some Barred Easter Eggers to raise.
Nugget is a big Buff Orpington pullet I hatched from Jody's lovely flock. She's been on the nest since 7 a.m. and when DH brought her up to the steps so I could hold her while he put on her saddle (she's Mace's fav), she had that unmistakeable glazed over look in her eyes, was growling like a wildcat, and has plucked alot of her breast feathers out. Here we go! Must be spring!

Last edited:
lol.png
Silly Nugget, bet she will make a good mama.

DH made up the broody pen, which is in Suede's coop, below Zane's cage (which sits on the solid top of the broody pen). We gave Nugget six blue and blue-green eggs from my Ameraucanas and Easter Egger, and my Blue Orp, Skye's(which was just laid and I really dont think is fertile right now, but this is a good way to test it) Nugget was pacing and growling and either she'll settle on the eggs or she'll snap out of it. First broody of the year, here we go!
Here's Nugget the first time she threatened to go broody, but didnt follow through.
DCP_2086.jpg

One of my buffy girls is broody; I'm not certain for sure which day she started sitting because they all like to use the same nest box, and if it's occupied they MIGHT use one of the others, or wait for the occupant to move... sometimes it's a power struggle! I'm thinking she has about 2 wks. to go now. She's sitting on 12 eggs that may or may not be hers... I'm guessing maybe some are but most are not. Whatever they are, they're either going to be a combo of RIR/BO, BO/BO, RIR/AustralOrp, or BO/AustralOrp, or RIR/Golden Comet , BO/GoldenComet. (There may even been a ??/barred rock in there, too.
smile.png
First broody I've ever had; my heart goes out to her.
love.gif
She's sitting TIGHT on that nest, and I only saw her in the first 3 days off the nest once. I've been bringing her food & some goodies like some scrambled egg bits that I thought might encourage her to eat. I saw an ENORMOUS poop in the run, but wasn't going to examine it closely to see if I thought it might be hers....
big_smile.png
I wish those bantam BBReds would decide to sit on their eggs -- I'd love to have some more little tiny chickens running around!
smile.png
Got 4 white silkies & 1 splash silkie roo that have cleared isolation & are now out there; maybe someday I'll have itty bitty silkie chickies.... (see -- just the thought makes one break into baby talk and get downright stupid...
wink.png

Last edited:
DH told me that he found a Blue Orp egg and put it under Nugget this morning. So, there's one egg that's about 12 hours behind the other 7. Total is now 6 Barred Easter Eggers and 2 Blue Orps.

Back
Top Bottom