Nurses Post

Pics
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

"It's interesting how for 12 hours I'm so 'intimately' involved with this patient, bathing, cleaning, discussing our past and their medical problems, and as soon as my shift is over I can't remember their name.
I'm starting to feel like a real tramp."

Assuming I'm not in time out for my last two post, let me tell you why they are more than attempts at levity.
As a nurse you will be in a lot of emotionally and physically 'intimate' situations and it will be important to be able to navigate it.
As an older white male I realize my experience will be different than most nurses. Most patients are great but like real life they have plentily that are scared, prejudiced, or just jerks. It is sometimes assumed that because I'm a male nurse I am* or should have been a Doctor, or that I am gay. I didn't realize until I read it in a book that that was why most patients eventually ask me if I have children.
* I will confess that we have used the fact that I am a tall, older male to our advantage. If a confused patient is being non-compliant or abusive I will enter the room, get his attention and let him know, "The doctor needs you to do XYZ." (Sometimes it works.) When were out of earshot I mumble to the nurses "Because they sure don't care what the nurse wants."

If I'm in need of medical care, it doesn't matter to me the gender, age, sexuality/identity, religion, race, nationality, political idiology, hair color/style of the care giver. (Did I leave any label out?) As long as the person is competent, the rest does not matter. It would be nice if they had a good bedside manner, but the competence is more important.

Back
Top Bottom