Nutrena Flock Shield Grit and Oyster Shell - smells weird?

maryn7

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
NE Illinois
I've got a hen who doesn't like to eat her oyster shell (I use a 20% all flock for everybody because I'm also raising chicks).

I've been trying to find something she'd eat consistently, and my Farm and Fleet had both a Nutrena mixed-sized grit (so bits for the growing chicks and the adults) and an oyster shell that was full oyster with additional calcium carbonate as the only ingredients. The bag also mentions that both products have their proprietary Flock Shield probiotic - so no ingredients are listed (I checked their website, too; no ingredients).

Man, I opened the bag of grit and it smells like when the oils in an old bag of nuts in the pantry have gone off. The oyster shell doesn't smell as bad, but still has a noticeable odor. One of the reviews on the farm and fleet website notes a smell to the product, but says it attracts their chickens.

If I had to guess, I'd say is the probiotic is sprayed onto the grit and oyster shell in a oil-based application. Maybe it's just been on the shelf so long the oil went rancid?

My inclination is not to give this to the birds, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. Anyone else use this product and noticed this odor (or, perhaps more to the point, used this product and NOT had an odor)? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom