Nutri Drench

And, thanks for the links. I have read them and anything else I can find on Newcastle. I am always apprehensive when I check on my other girls but, so far, they are thankfully healthy.

This thread is so sad!
1f625.png

I really hope Sadie gets better!

And, thanks for the links. I have read them and anything else I can find on Newcastle. I am always apprehensive when I check on my other girls but, so far, they are thankfully healthy.

Zoom zoom I looked up in my chicken health book the symptoms you have described and I have to say it sounds like Newcastle disease by the fact Sadie is not walking and paralysis. Newcastle come in 2 forms, one is mild intestinal infection and rarely produces any signs. The other is respiratory infection that causes coughing, gasping, and rales and is mistaken for any other disease of the respiratory systems.Newcastle causes nerve disorders- such as paralysis of a leg or wing- in addition to respiratory.
Incubation period is 2-15 days. Progression - spreads rapidly running through flock within about a week.pecentage affected 100% signs coughing,sneezing, gasping, rales.postmotem none significant.
Cause low-virulent strains of paramyxovirus that affect many bird species, do not cause serious illness in chickens, and are used in vaccines. Transmission inhaling or ingesting the virus shed in body excretions of infected birds.
Prevention avoidchickens and other birds of unknown health status. Treatment: none, keep chickens warm and well fed you certainly are doing all of that. Watch for secondary bacterial infections, particularly air sac disease and chronic respiratory disease: survivors are immune to reinfestation but will continue to shed the virus for a short period after recovery. Good luck, don't worry she is not walking when she gets better she'll run to you. Just keep her spirits up and you are doing everything you can, good luck..

Ok, listen to me, please... listen to me. You have a chicken which over 4 weeks has gone from 6.8 to 2..1 lbs. They have taken a blood test so shortly you will know what it is. You absolutely must cull this bird immediately. Stop and think. Your whole flock is in danger. The OP says Newcastle will spread and so will Marek's. I know you love this chicken and have tried hard to save it. Please, for the sake of the rest of the flock, put this chicken out of its misery. You can't save it and, if you try any longer ,you may find the whole flock sick and may lose them too. I understand the emotional investment here, I really do. But it has gone beyond just one chicken to danger to the whole flock. After she is gone, throw out everything you can and disinfect everything else with the strongest disinfectant this list recommend is safe for poultry. The test is going to come back from the vet anyway. If it a highly communicable disease the State may order your flock destroyed anyway.
Please, now is a time for action, and you can grieve later knowing you did your best to protect the rest of the flock from this disease.
I am so sorry this happened,
Karen

In other words if it is Marek's it is highly contagious and the whole flock can get it.
If it isNewcastle it is dangerous to you and the surrounding flocks in you neighborhood.

J Hyg (Lond). 1973 Jun;71(2):325-39.
The evidence for the airborne spread of Newcastle disease.
Hugh-Jones M, Allan WH, Dark FA, Harper GJ.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4515881

About Newcastle, it can be spread to humans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_disease

Exotic Newcastles Disease is not found in the US--the other 2 milder kinds may be found, and are not as serious. (See my earlier post for links.) This chicken obviously is suffering from something that has affected her immunity, possibly avian leukosis, Mareks, or just a weak immune system. Others may disagree with me, but I would place her in a dog crate with food and water and keep her in view of the whole flock, day and night. They have already been exposed to her and probably the wild birds who brought in the virus, so to make her more comfortable she should be with her flock. Otherwise it may be time to put her down.

This has been an absolutely horrible month. My 94 year old father became ill so I moved in with my parents to help take care of him until we could hire help. Sadly, we lost dad. Four days after dad's funeral my mother had a stroke. I brought her to live with us last week. She is doing well but can't live on her own. Not long after that my right eye had a stroke; a week of tests followed. I am learning to function with one eye now. While I was gone, my husband was diagnosed with blood cancer and will begin treatment next week. Now, for Sadie. My husband told me he "took care of her" the day after I left. Mom and I were greeted by a happy, clucking Sadie when we came home. I was horrified to say the least. She had gained a lot of weight and looked wonderful. Other than the fact that she couldn't walk, you wouldn't have known she was sick. After talking to my vet again, reading all the links and all of your good information, I knew she could not be a house chicken like my husband wanted. My vet assured me that the Newcastle had not gone away and never would. My husband had been caring for the rest of my flock, in and out of the coop, same shoes, same clothes that he wore in the house all the while carrying her around the house and snuggling in his chair. He even ordered chicken diapers. I can't begin to tell you how upset I was. I had Sadie put down and cremated this past Monday, I feel so bad and miss her so much. She was such a sweet, loving girl. I have sterilized everything, including steam moping the hardwood floors with bleach and sterilizing the coop. So far all the other chicks seem ok but I am keeping a very close eye on them. Now, if my husband ever gets over what I did and starts speaking to me again and if all my girls make it through this, life will hopefully be normal again. I want to thank everyone for the advice and support you gave me. It means so much to have folks who know what you are going through and can help with a frightening, sad time. You all are the greatest!

This has been an absolutely horrible month. My 94 year old father became ill so I moved in with my parents to help take care of him until we could hire help. Sadly, we lost dad. Four days after dad's funeral my mother had a stroke. I brought her to live with us last week. She is doing well but can't live on her own.  Not long after that my right eye had a stroke; a week of tests followed. I am learning to function with one eye now. While I was gone, my husband was diagnosed with blood cancer and will begin treatment next week. Now, for Sadie. My husband told me he "took care of her"  the day after I left. Mom and I were greeted by a happy, clucking Sadie when we came home. I was horrified to say the least. She had gained a lot of weight and looked wonderful. Other than the fact that she couldn't walk, you wouldn't have known she was sick. After talking to my vet again, reading all the links and all of your good information, I knew she could not be a house chicken like my husband wanted. My vet assured me that the Newcastle had not gone away and never would.  My husband had been caring for the rest of my flock, in and out of the coop, same shoes, same clothes that he wore in the house all the while carrying her around the house and snuggling in his chair. He even ordered chicken diapers.   I can't begin to tell you how upset I was. I had Sadie put down and cremated this past Monday, I feel so bad and miss her so much. She was such a sweet, loving girl.   I have sterilized everything, including steam moping the hardwood floors with bleach and sterilizing the coop. So far all the other chicks seem ok but I am keeping a very close eye on them. Now, if my husband ever gets over what I did and starts speaking to me again and if all my girls make it through this, life will hopefully be normal again. I want to thank everyone for the advice and support  you gave me. It means so much
to have folks who know what you are going through and can help with a frightening, sad time. You all are the greatest!

I'm really sorry about your loss of your father and the other serious illnesses in you and your family. I know from experience that it makes it very difficult to take care of your family in times of illness, and still have your animals to care for. Hopefully, you little hen was just immune-compromised and why she had the Newcastles. As I said earlier, the most serious exotic Newcastle's virus is not in the US, but the milder form could be dangerous for a sickly chicken. I would make sure they are getting probiotics in their diet, and most feeds have them listed on the label. If not, give them a little plain yogurt a couple of times a week to increase their immunity. Occasional worming once or twice a year may help to prevent a heavy worm load. Take care, and I hope your life becomes less stressed. Maybe get your husband involved with another favorite chicken to get over his loss. And give him lots of praise for taking care of them while you were gone.

Back
Top Bottom