Nutritional deficiency in 4 week old Jersey Giant

Noah Way Farm

Songster
Apr 29, 2019
South Carolina
I have a 4 week old chick who became lame on first her right leg, then her left, to a lesser degree her left, and right along has had a poor appetite, but has been growing normally (in fact is one of the bigger chicks). Her siblings are a very active and robust bunch. I first became concerned about her about a week after I got them at a couple days old, only because her crop never seemed full, but she was active and growing. Three days ago, the mobility issue started - she was reluctant to ride, was unsteady, curled toes on her right foot, crossing over, etc.
I started her on vitamin supplements right away, and she responded very well, and mobility improved in about 12 hours and was normal after 48 hours.
My questions are this - how long do I continue the supplements (poultry cell and a fatty acid supplement loaded with vitamin E), and why was it just this chick?
I have used no less than 4 brands of medicated chick started for this group- I can't imagine they are all deficient, plus they get a vitamin supplement in their water at least twice a week. Again, she has not eaten well right along, but has been eating SO much better since yesterday.
I simply can't find anything that addresses how long to continue additional supplements.
Thanks!

What protein % is your chick starter? I have a 4 weeks old Black Jersey Giant along with five other chicks and am feeding a 19% organic/NGMO Starter/Grower and they have all done very well. And I have never been one to use the medicated feed as I believe it may have adverse affects as well.

My first batch of day old chicks, I didn't offer a vitamin supplement. I lost one of six.
My second batch of day old chicks, I supplemented Poultry Nutri-Drench for 10 days and all seven survived.
From what I've read some Chicks fail to thrive on feed alone and need a supplement.
Also make sure to have enough feeder space and watch to make sure all chicks are allowed access. Maybe a second feeder is needed.
I give them medicated feed for 10 weeks before changing to Non-Medicated feed. GC

What protein % is your chick starter? I have a 4 weeks old Black Jersey Giant along with five other chicks and am feeding a 19% organic/NGMO Starter/Grower and they have all done very well. And I have never been one to use the medicated feed as I believe it may have adverse affects as well.
The lowest it's been is 18%, up to 20%. I tried to research the best protein % for the giants, but found little info on whether high or lower protein is better for them.
Also, at least one brand did not contain amprolium, but rather an antibiotic that I can't currently remember the name of, but the feed was Carolina Choice, which I have used successfully before.
These chicks DID have vitamins in their water daily for the first week, then about 2x week there after. But this chick didn't eat well from the start.

My first batch of day old chicks, I didn't offer a vitamin supplement. I lost one of six.
My second batch of day old chicks, I supplemented Poultry Nutri-Drench for 10 days and all seven survived.
From what I've read some Chicks fail to thrive on feed alone and need a supplement.
Also make sure to have enough feeder space and watch to make sure all chicks are allowed access. Maybe a second feeder is needed.
I give them medicated feed for 10 weeks before changing to Non-Medicated feed. GC

These chicks definitely have enough feeder space - there are only ten of them, and they have two feeders. I sit and watch every time they are fed, which is how I noticed her poor appetite. She wasn't getting pushed off or bullied. She would just eat a little and be done.
I guess she must have come with a deficiency....

Can you post some photos of her (poop too)? Preferably standing so we can see her legs.

Since she hasn't really eaten well from the start, she may have some developmental issues, it's hard to know.
The lameness can be a number of things - Marek's comes to mind. Poor genetics, parent stock nutrition, etc. are some other things to consider. If you are planning on breeding, I would not breed her - just use her for eggs and as a pet.

It's good that she responded to vitamins - if they are helping I would continue those for a while - B2 (Riboflavin) is good for leg healthy and Poultry Cell is a good vitamin, imho.

Can you post some photos of her (poop too)? Preferably standing so we can see her legs.

Since she hasn't really eaten well from the start, she may have some developmental issues, it's hard to know.
The lameness can be a number of things - Marek's comes to mind. Poor genetics, parent stock nutrition, etc. are some other things to consider. If you are planning on breeding, I would not breed her - just use her for eggs and as a pet.

It's good that she responded to vitamins - if they are helping I would continue those for a while - B2 (Riboflavin) is good for leg healthy and Poultry Cell is a good vitamin, imho.
Oh, I meant to add that I started her on poultry cell Thursday. I had been using Rooster Booster vitamins and electrolytes right along.
I am pleased that she seems really normal now and has developed a voracious appetite. I am giving her a 1/4 cc of poultry cell twice a day. Not sure when to stop that, so I think I will just wean her off gradually.

Back
Top Bottom