Nuts and seeds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenbaguette, Jan 3, 2012.

1. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    What nuts and seeds do your chickens like? Are ground nuts good for them? [​IMG]

2. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    Anyone? xD

3. mamachick27

mamachick27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Lake County, CA
    Walnuts!!! LOTS OF THEM!![​IMG] We live in the middle of a walnut orchard and my chickens love it when I go out and crack some for them

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

See my BYC page for what I feed. I have fed all kinds of human-grade slightly stale nuts, too. They love everything.

If they are salted, though, take care to soak them, then toss the water, soak them a little more until you are sure the salt is decreased significantly. As always, never feed any moldy food to chickens as it can kill them.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

cantaloupe seeds [​IMG]

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I just throw out wild bird seed. Mainly for the crows but the chickens get into them also.

7. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    They love all kinds of seeds and nuts - we haven't found a limit for them in this realm yet. [​IMG]

8. Tallulah Chicklet

Tallulah Chicklet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    New Haven, CT
    On this topic, I've been thinking of planting Yellowhorn Xantherocerus sorbifolia in or near the run for the chickens and myself. Anyone have any experience with this?

9. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    No, but your chickens won't eat it anyway if you're worried about it being bad for them.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think the leaves and seeds are supposed to be edible. I don't know how tasty they are. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by