NWI

Kassafrass

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hello...just got a coop and run, and looking forward to chicks in the spring. I am esp interested in using solar heat and panels to heat the coop in the winter, and wanted to start looking into that. Any suggestions or resources for that appreciated!

Hello...just got a coop and run, and looking forward to chicks in the spring. I am esp interested in using solar heat and panels to heat the coop in the winter, and wanted to start looking into that. Any suggestions or resources for that appreciated!

Hi and welcome. Generally speaking, there are very few instances in which heat is needed - and in the majority of instances it can cause more harm than good. Good uses of solar power in the coop, though, can be lighting and for use to prevent freezing of water in the watering containers being used for the birds. Healthy, feathered birds require only a shelter that permits them to get out of direct weather - a well ventilated but draft-free coop.
Perhaps you can post photos of the setup you are using and we can better see if there are things that might make the winters easier on you and your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I don't know much about solar heating at all. Sorry.
hmm.png

Glad you joined and good luck with your future flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Ol' Grey Mare X2. You really do not want to heat your coop in the winter. The birds have built in furnaces and lots of feathers to keep them warm, unlike us humans that need coats to go outside. If you heat your coop, you are not allowing them to acclimate to the cold temps and they will never be able to go outside all winter. Staying in the coop all winter will lead to respiratory issues and gaining weight. They need to get outside or in the run every day for fresh air and exercise. Proper ventilation in your coop will keep them warm and dry. They roost low to the floor out of drafts, 1 square foot per bird of vent space in your eaves of the coop and they will stay nice and dry. If you don't leave the vents open, all the moisture from all the pooping and breathing is going to rise and fall back down as water or frost, chilling them and giving them frost bite.

Here is a nice article on being prepared for winter...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-chicken-keeping

And more tips on getting ready for winter...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/822765/winter-is-coming-checklists-tips-advice-for-a-newbie

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!!

Thanks so much for the info! We live in NW Indiana (Valparaiso) and the "polar vortex" this past winter made it horribly bitter. I will check out that article for sure!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Yes, the polar vortex was severe. I've heard they are predicting an even worse winter for Midwest this year
hide.gif
. Ol' Gray Mare has really summed up the reason for not adding supplemental heat. Glad you joined the flock.

Back
Top Bottom